braid size for beach fishing

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:53 pm

ive loadsa multipliers and rods but im gonna buy an ian golds extractor fixed spool and d new penn fixed spool i use a 18lb mono and 50lb shock on my multis just wondering wat size braid do people use on fixed spools for likes of waterford estuary and yaul monkstown etc.. any info be great. ps wats a good brand of braid ?

Re: braid size for beach fishing

Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:32 pm

I have used 50lb braid in the past because it has a very low diameter. I used it without a shockleader and it was fine until it started to rain my hands became wet and my skin got soft. Casting braid can seriously damage your finger!!! Of course lower B/S will need a shockleader and this brings it's own problems. In my experience you'de be better using a tapered leader because of crack off's with the leader knot getting caught in the stripper guide. There is a lot to consider when using braid and it does not suit everyone. I'm not trying to put you off, braid has it's benefits and you'll have to weigh up the plus + minus for your type of fishing. You are talking about fishing Monkstown so I persume it's for Cod in my experience with bigger fish you'de be better with a good mono, there more give and less likely for a bigger fish to pull out. If you need any more info gis a call I think you have my number.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:48 pm

i use 80lbs on my two fix spools never look back u can use less :wink:

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:18 pm

The extractor is an ideal rod for monkstown but not sure it would be suited to braid for there. The rip is pretty strong even on small tides and with the lack of stretch in the braid the extractor might keep pulling the wires on your grip leads free.
Coupled with mono it would be an ideal rod for monkstown tho.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi I use 30lb power pro braid on my shimano biomaster fixed spool & 50lb shock leader never have any problems casting with this set up I fish monkstown,youghal & beaches.