salt tripod after three years

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:32 pm

always like to see a review of a product that has been used for a while. at first i loved this tripod because i could fit it in the boot. the design and blue finish is quite striking too. i found myself using it less and less because of the extra time to assemble/disassemble compared to my ian goulds (~10 years and still going strong). now it has reached the grade of "spare" or "the one i give a loan of". on a trip last weekend i noticed a bit of corrosion on all the metal screw parts. i do wash my gear down with fresh water after every trip. i have never had this problem with the goulds. my only conclusion is that the steel nuts and bolts in the goulds are of a better grade (maybe 316ss). it boggles the mind why a manufacturer would try and save cents per item like this. shakespere salt tripod - thumbs down.

Re: salt tripod after three years

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:57 pm

i had one there crap then i got the mti 1 crap i just purchased an ian golds yesterday and by far they are the best all rond

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:25 pm

lowie69 wrote:i had one there crap then i got the mti 1 crap i just purchased an ian golds yesterday and by far they are the best all rond

wait and see the golds in 5 years time, might not be as sparkly new but 100% perfect use.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:40 pm

have the parkers tripod, very slimilar to trhe golds one, after 5 years bit of rust on 2 of the screws and replaced the padding of u bends, would get another but this one is still in good nick so no need. ps not always washed after each trip

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:48 pm

If you spray the screws and chains etc with wd40 or gt7 spray this will stop any corrosion and seal. The gt7 is so good that for demos they spray a corded electric drill thoroughly put it underwater and the drill still works . I usually spray the entire tripod and then wipe down and its rust free a year on and i rarely wash it after use

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Iv had the saltist now for over 2 years of hardship ,iv never washed it but I have dropped it, bent the legs and watched it get pulled down the beach and its still going strong.Now its not pretty but it does the job.Anything you pay €50 and get two years out of is alright by me.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Eoin wrote:
lowie69 wrote:i had one there crap then i got the mti 1 crap i just purchased an ian golds yesterday and by far they are the best all rond

wait and see the golds in 5 years time, might not be as sparkly new but 100% perfect use.

+1 and its a great tripod and no bother carrying long distance grand and light... 8)

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 am

i have an original Ian Golds Tripod that is over 20 years old and still perfect, you buy them once!

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:22 pm

i have a shakespeare and its excellent. not a sign of any corrosion

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:23 pm

going into my 3rd year with the salt .i have had ian golds in the past and can say without doubt the salt is the most stable tripod i have used and the best !!

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:37 pm

24 years i have my Trigger tripod, only had to replace the legs four times and the head six times. Its looks brand new after all this time

Best tripod ever

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:22 pm

mickeyfish wrote:24 years i have my Trigger tripod, only had to replace the legs four times and the head six times. Its looks brand new after all this time

Best tripod ever

:lol: classic!