Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:11 pm

alright lads anyone hear or have info on these

PENN POWERSTIX SEA SPIN ROD

Re: spining rod

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Waste of money imo

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:00 am

Just as a matter of interest Rory - why? I don't know anything about these rods other than they would be used for heavier spinning applications like large pollock etc rather than plugging or using SPs. But maybe thats what he wants it for?

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:26 am

IMO, this rod is too heavy (>300g) and bulky for spinning. For a rod priced at 60ish you could get the following instead;

Rovex Lure Pro @ 30 euro https://www.tackledirectireland.ie/inde ... 1ua8g1if57
I have the 10' and 8' versions of these rods (quad travel) and find them superb.

I bought my nephew a Penn rod for his birthday as he wanted an all round sea fishing rod. Its not particular good at spinning. Better suited to bottom fishing with a 2/3 oz or float fishing.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:02 pm

Sorry Croppy - we've been hi-jacking this thread...

I have a lure pro as a back up alright - not gonna get anything better for €30 odd.

Still think there are times when something heavier is required (kelp/foul ground etc) - maybe Alby would agree with me seeing as he's in the market for a new spinning rod......! :D :D :D

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:09 pm

hijack away i need a spinning rod so any info will help

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Still think there are times when something heavier is required (kelp/foul ground etc) - maybe Alby would agree with me seeing as he's in the market for a new spinning rod......! :D :D :D[/quote]
lol
might try and find a bushwacker rod they look the biz

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:45 pm

[/quote]might try and find a bushwacker rod they look the biz[/quote]
Just bought a bushwacker from Southside.I had been using an 11ft mike ladel rod and I have to say the bushwacker is a joy to use in comparison,so light and plenty of backbone.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:04 pm

I bought a bushwhacker 8'6" 20-60g iirc . Top section broke after a fall , so I bought a new top section for €40 . I bought a shimano yasei 8' 7-35g .I got it for a bit less than €80 from http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/ (Its not up on his website like most of the gear he has in his treasure trove) ,lovely rod lots of feedback and I could feel every nibble . Unless it was a big fish ripping line , I couldn't feel much from the bushwhacker . They are prone to breaking .

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:58 pm

i bought myself a penn overseas 10ft spinning rod in southside and cant fault it iv had lighter spinning rods in my hand at 8ft 9ft etc that weighed litrally nothing but if you hook a decent fish on 1 of those i find cant really steer fish away from rocks weed etc as stated

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:33 am

have a look at the Berkley Skeletor Pro series http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalo ... __120.html
I use the 902/15-40g for nearly all my lurefishing and like the fact that it is next to weightless with only around 180g, if balanced with a matching reel (I use a Shimano Rarenium CI4 4000 with it) you can hold it all day without contracting RSI :)