advice for first multiplier

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi folks. After years of avoiding multipliers, I'm thinking of taking the plunge as my Penn surfmaster 750 fixed spool is (predictably) on the way out ! I can get a good deal locally on a new Penn 525 mag extra. Would ye reckon that it would suit a multiplier newbie or should I avoid the hassle and go for a Shimano ultegra 14000 fixed spool ? I'll be marrying the reel to a 13ft powerstix pro surf until I gather the funds to upgrade my rod. Thanks for the advice :)

Re: advice for first multiplier

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:42 am

depends on ur funds will allow ive had loadsa types of multis abus penns daiwas then i found avet magged serious reel wel made not cheap crap u can get 1 for 160 of tom burges on efish sell u wont be disapointed the mags on it are great for beginer or pro im hittn serious distances hope this helps m8

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:16 am

lowie69 wrote:depends on ur funds will allow ive had loadsa types of multis abus penns daiwas then i found avet magged serious reel wel made not cheap crap u can get 1 for 160 of tom burges on efish sell u wont be disapointed the mags on it are great for beginer or pro im hittn serious distances hope this helps m8

Tom burness

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:42 am

Snip Snip Georgie :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:24 am

7ht is a nice one to start off on. what type of ground will you be fishing over. it might not suit you if your fishing over rough ground where the mag would suit you better or even an Abu 6500.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:49 am

samo wrote:7ht is a nice one to start off on. what type of ground will you be fishing over. it might not suit you if your fishing over rough ground where the mag would suit you better or even an Abu 6500.

Are you saying an abu 6500 will suit for rough ground? Thats a clean ground reel. The green mag elite is a very good beginners reel and can be gotten 2nd hand for under €60. I wouldnt be buying one for anything other than fishing over sand tho.
As for the ultegra, cracking reel. I got one last year and cant reccommend it enough. The 14000 is very big tho, the 10000 spare spool is a better size imo. if i was to buy again id opt for the 10000 sized reel which has a 6000 sized spare spool.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:51 pm

when u start using the multi first,bring your FS too... :) sometimes it can go all wrong cost u time fishing... :oops:
best of luck with choosing and using... :)

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:54 pm

lucky13 wrote:when u start using the multi first,bring your FS too... :) sometimes it can go all wrong cost u time fishing... :oops:
best of luck with choosing and using... :)

id take that advice as said bring your fs with you or fish 2 rods 1 with fixed spool and another with yur multiplier id recommend you getting a second hand abu 6500 you will pick 1 up for around €50-€90 depending on condition an if you feel as if its really not for you you will be able to get your money back by selling it on for what you paid best of luck mate

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Penn 525 mag extra is a fine reel for starting off very rare for it to over run id go for it if the price is right

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:47 pm

sailnfish wrote:Hi folks. After years of avoiding multipliers, I'm thinking of taking the plunge as my Penn surfmaster 750 fixed spool is (predictably) on the way out ! I can get a good deal locally on a new Penn 525 mag extra. Would ye reckon that it would suit a multiplier newbie or should I avoid the hassle and go for a Shimano ultegra 14000 fixed spool ? I'll be marrying the reel to a 13ft powerstix pro surf until I gather the funds to upgrade my rod. Thanks for the advice :)

yes multipliers are good

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Yea i use my 6500 hi speeds in rough ground with no issues at all.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi Sailin,

you are in prime expert country down that way and I'm sure someone close to you could help with showing you a multi first hand.
The 525 is a great all round reel that would not let you down and give many trouble free years of service.

Where exactly do you fish etc?

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:41 pm

kstaff wrote:Hi Sailin,

you are in prime expert country down that way and I'm sure someone close to you could help with showing you a multi first hand.
The 525 is a great all round reel that would not let you down and give many trouble free years of service.

Where exactly do you fish etc?

I've been on to a few lads locally and I have been playing with a couple of multis. I fish a combination of clean and rough beaches, estuary and rock marks, so versatility is important :D

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:48 pm

penn mag2 .

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Go get the 525 so thats the reel you need! Enjoy! :D

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Got a Penn 525 supermag extra in the end. Cheers for the advice !

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:53 pm

See will the clamp fit the Penn 4/0

If not, I'll be fishing Claycastle on Saturday between 15:00 and 19:00 bring the reel I might have something that might fit

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:05 am

donal domeney wrote:See will the clamp fit the Penn 4/0

If not, I'll be fishing Claycastle on Saturday between 15:00 and 19:00 bring the reel I might have something that might fit

Just saw this now was away for the weekend !