Boat reel advice.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi could you give me some advice on getting a boat reel I'm using a old penn gti320 with line guide. And I would like something the same size but a smoother reel is what I'm after. Thanks .

Re: Boat reel advice.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Does it have to be level wind? If not you can't go wrong with either slosh.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:22 pm

I use a slosh 30 myself and can't fault it,I've used it for pollock and wrasse in the rough ground to wreck fishing and also for a few tope

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Star drag or leverdrag?

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:26 am

Video here

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:18 am

cathald wrote:I use a slosh 30 myself and can't fault it,I've used it for pollock and wrasse in the rough ground to wreck fishing and also for a few tope

x2 can defo recomend this real..!!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Determined Dan wrote:Hi could you give me some advice on getting a boat reel I'm using a old penn gti320 with line guide. And I would like something the same size but a smoother reel is what I'm after. Thanks .

Nothing wrong with a penn 320, just as smooth as any other if properly looked after. I would however remove the line guide which is a simple job

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:28 pm

I have two Daiwa Saltist (STT20H) since at least 5 years and one of each of their slightly bigger cousins, but the size 20 is all what I'm using for boat work now, it fits nicely into the palm of my hand and is an absolute bullet proof reel, even for fishing over deep sea wrecks off West Cork. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Give it a good wash in fresh water after each trip and an occasional drop of oil is all what's needed to keep it going.
more info: http://www.daiwasports.co.uk/products/s ... multiplier

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Shambo wrote:Does it have to be level wind? If not you can't go wrong with either slosh.
Thanks shambo, I'll look at the slosh reel again.
Tanglerat wrote:Star drag or leverdrag?
hi tanglerat I don't mind either drag the penn I have has a star drag , but a lever drag would be good to try.
roryodonnell wrote:[ thanks for the video. Very good with a nice reel . Cheers.
Sir Pete wrote:
cathald wrote:I use a slosh 30 myself and can't fault it,I've used it for pollock and wrasse in the rough ground to wreck fishing and also for a few tope

x2 can defo recomend this real..!!
thanks sir Peter and cathald.[quote="Etihad"]
Nothing wrong with a penn 320,
had the line guide reconditioned and new Powell put in .i think there would be a better class of reel out there by now so that's why Im posting thanks for the reply tight lines.[quote="The Austrian"]I have two Daiwa Saltist (STT20H) since at least 5 years and one of each of their slightly bigger cousins, but the size 20 is all what I'm using for boat work now, it fits nicely into the palm of my hand and is an absolute bullet proof reel, even for fishing over deep sea wrecks off West Cork. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Give it a good wash in fresh water after each trip and an occasional drop of oil is all what's needed to keep it going.
Cheers Austrian Dawia is a nice trust worthy reel and if it had a line guide I would be interested . Thanks for the reply

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Determined Dan wrote:Cheers Austrian Dawia is a nice trust worthy reel and if it had a line guide I would be interested . Thanks for the reply

no problem Dan, you are more than welcome, just check this out: http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=442
now you only have to go and find a reasonable priced one over here :wink:
there are plenty available from over the pond: http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-salti ... reels.html
a quick search shows up many more shops (all from abroad, sadly enough): http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&output=sear ... 80&bih=575

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Avet MX