newbie question - general use shorter rod, am i right?

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 pm

im a returning angler, or at least im trying to be when the wife, kids, dogs allow me to. ive been given 'permission' to take my 6 yr old out with me - picked him up a small 6ft kids number ( one of them ugly stick starter kits - dont know if good or not yet) but what im looking for is something for myself - already have 14' for the beach but was thinking maybe an uptider would be handy for the rocks / piers and at 9' wouldnt be too much for traveling with or on the river ( im land locked in kilkenny) and pair it upto a slosh again suitable for the rocks etc and would pair up nicely for the small amount of light boat / kayak use.

funds limited as always hence one rod but figured uptider rather than standard boat rod would be better for the casting side but still ample for what i need and stronger than going for a spinning/ bass rod that at 11 - 12' would be a shade too long

does this make sense? - would a slosh be right for how im thinking ? ( deffo going multi - have large FS already but looking for neater package and im not a stranger to them)
thanks for your time
Andy

Re: newbie question - general use shorter rod, am i right?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:22 am

Hi Andy, After reading your post about the reel/multi.....then a Slosh would be grand as they are a very good
allround reel but if i was you i would go for the Slosh 30 because if you are going to combine it with a boat/pier
rod and using it around rock's then this would be your best bet because it's got the gut's for the job and on the
plus side you could use it on your beach rod when fishing heavy/rough/kelpy ground, well that would be my choice
because of this plus it's not a lot more expensive than a Slosh 20,hope this help's in your decision.

Tightline's

K.C

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:15 am

Thanks for the reply, I'm on the right lines then with the slosh, how bout the uptider? Anyone recommendations?

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:58 pm

What kind of fishing do u plan to do? an uptider wont cast far?..as for on a river...is an uptider not too stiff...any decent uptiders are around 10 ft?.. really only suited on a boat?