new multiplier rod

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:57 pm

hi lads,

iv'e been sea fishing for the last 6 or 7 years but iv'e never used a multiplier rod and reel.
i will be purchasing my first one in the next few weeks hopefully and have pretty much settled
on the penn 525mag2 reel but i havent a clue what rod to get.

has anyone any suggestions on a good rod at a reasonable price,

any advice and personal experience is appreciated.

thanks...

Re: new multiplier rod

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:04 pm

Shakespeare salt and greys grxs are good entry level rods but may not suit the ground you fish . Ive a greys grx and find it casts well with good bite detection only thing Id change is the reel seat to coasters to give a firmer grip.Theres loads of choice there and the penns are the reels to have

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:44 pm

I don't know where your based Jay, but you should take a look at the Ian Golds range. They have something for everything. For General fishing the International Match is a great Rod. if you PM Paul Mason online here, he will be able to look after you. He's based in North Dublin.

Best of Luck with the hunt,

Kev

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:45 pm

hows things jay.there seems to be a lot of anglers changing from multeys back to f/s with 15 or 16ft continental style rods recently.might be worth checkin them out before you go spending.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi jay, i went from f/s to multi and to be honest i have lost some distance with my casts. I pair the Penn 525mag2 with a Daiwa Sand Storm and an Abu 6500 with a Penn Pro bass 11'6 and a Shakesphere. I know that i should go to some of the casting days and get some tips and advice from the lads on the site here, but with work at the minute, any spare time i have at the minute i just want to hit the beach. So if your gonna change to a multi, take advantage of some of the casting days, i contacted some of the casting groups and they have said to come along but i just kept putting it off. I will before the end of the summer(what summer :roll: ). As for the rods i chose, i know they are ok as i gave them to a lad on the beach one day and he belted my rigs near twice the distance i could. :shock: Good luck with your choice anyway..

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:20 pm

thanks for the advice lads

unfortunately my hand was forced on monday when my rod snapped.
took the plunge after some research and got a century carbon metal
with a daiwa millionaire 7ht turbo.

tried it out yesterday, first cast barely left the beach :lol:
second cast, crack off :x started getting better after that.
checked some videos today and im doing it completely wrong.
amazed i got it in the water the way i was doing it :D so i definitely
need to check out them casting days alright flyno.

anyway it can only get better from here on :D
thanks again
jason

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:18 am

start off slow and easy ,you have a very powerfull rod and a very fast reel for a beginner :shock: i think i,d be putting some thick oil in those bairings to start off with :lol:

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:52 am

thanks for the advice roger, using a multiplier is totally new to me but i can definitely see the advantages already.

i havent had a chance to get used to it properly yet (only fished 3 times ) but every session it seams to get a little better.
ill be bringing it to this big fish bomber this evening so maybe u can give me some quick tips if your going. :)

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:44 pm

just seen this ,did you go to the bomber :?: and howd ya get on ? that wind wouldnt be helping anyone learning on a multi :roll: fished fixed spool and braid on the night and just used the zippy to welly out a tope bait for the last cast or two :D

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:44 pm

just seen this myself :) no i couldnt make it after. how did you do. i live about 15 mins from that beach but wouldn't fish it regularly,never had great look there. usually fish from courtown further south.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:49 pm

jay k wrote:hi lads,

iv'e been sea fishing for the last 6 or 7 years but iv'e never used a multiplier rod and reel.
i will be purchasing my first one in the next few weeks hopefully and have pretty much settled
on the penn 525mag2 reel but i havent a clue what rod to get.

has anyone any suggestions on a good rod at a reasonable price,

any advice and personal experience is appreciated.

thanks...
try a greys rod those are very good