Ugly Stik rod snapped, TWICE

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:30 am

bought a shakespear 2.7m ugly stik spinning rod at the end of last summer, a lovely little rod that i have/had become quite attached to :oops: :wink: i was fishing from a kayak and trying to pull my lure from the kelp below when the rod snapped! :shock: :( was bloody surprised and a little upset as i really dont believe that i was giving it tooo much stick! so it was back to the shop where i bought it from and i was happy when the rod was replaced FOC by shakespear 8) :)
sooo... first day out with my newly replaced rod and yip, it bust, in exactly the same place, at the top of the butt section where the two halves meet, about and inch from the top. this time im convinced that i really wasnt putting too much pressure on it! the line had become snagged on a few weeds at my feet on the rocks and i was simply jabbing at it to free it :shock: :shock: so, back to the shop again :oops: :oops: :roll:
has anybody had similar experience with this rod?? id reckon that its quite a popular one, maybe..

Re: Ugly Stik rod snapped, TWICE

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:39 am

I'm pretty astonished that you've had two Ugly Stiks fail on you - I've always regarded them as pretty much bombproof up to tactical nuke levels. Must be a bad batch.

Have you contacted Shakespear about it?

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:50 am

+1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hT1l7J9X5XA

Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm

I got an uglystick for my confirmation back in 1984 and it's as good now as it was then
as tanglerat says it must have been a bad batch

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:20 pm

Ya, i've done the same from the kayak. I think the rod just wasn't up to the abuse/use when trying for pollock.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:45 pm

Strange,iv been using one the last 2 years,took a lot of abuse and still good as new

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 pm

I'd say my problem would have been getting caught up on kelp and then bein a bit ignorant when trying to free the line. I've a teklon concept now, its a decent rod.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:29 am

Strange indeed as ive never broken a rod in my life (fishing nearly 30 years) until now. i still remember the shock the first time it snapped, let alone the second! :?

Tanglerat wrote:I've always regarded them as pretty much bombproof up to tactical nuke levels
ive had a lot of great reports for these wee rods from the past with one mate saying that he caught some huge trevally and jacks on them, somewhere in the world at one stage. he said that he and a few mates gave the exact same rod a lot of abuse and even tried to break it on some fish, but couldnt!

Tanglerat wrote:Have you contacted Shakespear about it?
not directly but the guy who runs my local tackle shop has. he was just as astonished and said to bring the second rod back and that he would replace it regardless. so im bringing the second rod back in the morning as im heading out kayak fishing again tomorrow. the decision now of course is whether or not to get another one off him!???? :roll:

i reckon that this could be the case all right - that these two rods came from a bad batch :|

thanks for the replies

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:40 pm

nicefish wrote:+1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hT1l7J9X5XA

Nice one