Ultima red ice line

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:43 am

im seriously having my doubts about this 20lb red ice line,,ive been using it on my penn multiplier and as of late im seriously considering of getting rid of it all together,,,,i find it when its dry or not been used in a while it can be a disaster coming off the reel for ur first cast,,,its goes all hard and just feels like a horrible line after a short use,,i use yellow sensor line on me other rod and find the red ice no way near it,,,,,the other evening while tackling trout,,,,my first cast ended up with the line snapping,,it was coming off the line fine and next thing snap,,,nothing to do with the line being guided on the session before,,,,,,after it snapped the remainder line just feel shaggy and like it lost its memory after a short period,,its not the first time this has happened and my casting with multipliers is absolutely fine

just dont know whether to fill up the reel with the remainder of red ice,,,,,,,the reason i bought it thinking it was good line but also most of my fishing is night time and find the colured line easier to see...

are they the only two(yellow sensor,red ice) coloured lines i can get,id like to keep the reels with two different lines or colours if i can,,,need to get this sorted as i will probably be out tommorow night

cheers brian

Re: Ultima red ice line

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:05 pm

I have heard red Ice being called 'Marmite line' as you either love it or hate it. I used it for a long time and found that once it had bedded into the reel it was ok. Whenever I went out I always had a few casts with a lead only, a gentle lob first then built up to a whack before putting a baited rig on and fishing. I did find that if you were casting into a wind it could blow up. It was generally good for knot strength and abrasion resistance.
If you are not confident with your line choice, change it for something you do like otherwise it will always hold you back on your cast, you will always expect the reel to blow up in your face.
IMHO line choice could be one of your more important tackle choices as it is all that connects you expensive rod and reel to your fish.
I have been using suffix tritainium in .35 (around 19lb I think) and .45 for the last couple of years. It is probably the best all round line for the kind of fishing I do that I have tried. They stock it in Fanore if you are ever over this side.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:09 pm

thanks neil,,,,is it possible to get coloured suffix line

baitdigger wrote:I have heard red Ice being called 'Marmite line' as you either love it or hate it. I used it for a long time and found that once it had bedded into the reel it was ok. Whenever I went out I always had a few casts with a lead only, a gentle lob first then built up to a whack before putting a baited rig on and fishing. I did find that if you were casting into a wind it could blow up. It was generally good for knot strength and abrasion resistance.
If you are not confident with your line choice, change it for something you do like otherwise it will always hold you back on your cast, you will always expect the reel to blow up in your face.
IMHO line choice could be one of your more important tackle choices as it is all that connects you expensive rod and reel to your fish.
I have been using suffix tritainium in .35 (around 19lb I think) and .45 for the last couple of years. It is probably the best all round line for the kind of fishing I do that I have tried. They stock it in Fanore if you are ever over this side.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:19 pm

[quote="saving private brian"]thanks neil,,,,is it possible to get coloured suffix line

at one time it was available in red but according to the website it is now only made in orange, yellow and clear. http://international.sufix.com/fishing_line/precision_performance_mono/tritanium/
mick only has yellow and clear in Fanore.
I prefer the yellow in the .35mm as I believe it cuts down on birdstrike. The .45 I have been using is clear but I am not too worried about that as I always fish that reel on the ratchet with the drag wound down. I have some yellow 37 lb stuff as well that I used for a couple of trips but it is like washing line :D

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Apparently this is the same as Sufix Tritanium

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GARDNER-SURE-CAST-20lb-9-1kg/dp/B005YK80R6/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1341345121&sr=1-2

or there's red Sufix here(if you drop down the options list it says they're the same line)

http://www.breakaway-tackle.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=46_49&product_id=143

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:50 pm

I have used it in the past and found it to bad, thought it was a bad batch but when the second spool was the same i dumped it. As said before its a marmite line as i know some lads who love it. personally i use ultima or suffix when fishing and sukuma or diawa tourament when field casting

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Suffix synergy is great for clean beaches and the red colour and casts well .

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:48 am

I had a roll of Red Ice a few years ago and found it to be crap, seemed very brittle, snapping way below its breaking strain.
I threw it away after a couple of frustrating sessions.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:06 pm

i have used the red ice for nearly a year now,rocks beaches piers and have no complaints... :D
genuinely must be the marmite line...

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:08 pm

I used red ice for a long time. Never had a problem with it myself.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:04 pm

marmite looks like crap so i guess its self explanitory :lol: have a lokk at this its very interesting :idea:
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/dave02.htm