Shimano Exage 330 travel rod

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:41 pm

Hi

Well I finally bought one to replace the old 10 foot Shakespeare spinning rod (which snapped like a gunshot six inches above the butt !)

It is a nice package, neat tube, nice covers, good quality build as you would expect from Shimano and it will fit in the suitcase :D.

Spigot joints are good but lord there are a lot of pieces! Bought the 330 / 300 system as opposed to the smaller version.

Quite a heavy rod (granted I bought the longest version) but found that a lot of spinning even with relatively small pike lures and rapalas had a big impact on the arm / wrist - maybe I am just out of practice on that score.

I found that one handed casting was almost impossible as the rod (despite a sizable Okuma Zircon 50) was not properly balanced although dropping it down to the 300 cm version helped. The butt below the the reel is about six inches too short for proper two handed casting... which is a pity.

It has quite a whippy action which surprised me given it comes in five pieces but it casts well, certain as well as my old rod, and with a swop from the mono spool I had to braid, I expect it will outperform the old rod.

It is doubtless suited to a baitcaster reel, but if you do go this route, I reckon you should look at the shorter versions. The 330 cms version is good enough for light sea fishing (which is why I bought it) but I do not know if if has sufficient backbone to let you muscle a decent pollack or big wrasse out of weed etc. Certainly perfect for clean ground flattie fishing...

Only used it twice so I am sure others have more experience...

FWIW

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:31 pm

They are bloody heavy it isn't you bieng limp wristed.

I have had fish to 12 pounds on one with no problem, but after less than two years of only occasionall use the joints need taping over to make sure they dont come apart while casting..........dont ask.

quick update

Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:53 pm

Hi

The top ring cracked and has had to be replaced, granted I did frtop in on the rocks so no complain there, but the second top ring insert disappeared altogether, found in the bag after much searching. Hmnnn.

Finding replacements has been a pain in the *$£%& so if anyone knows of online stores who will allow you search for the right rings, please pm me.

Thx

Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:28 pm

Have you had a word with the nice ladies at Shimano Felindre? They should be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.shimanofelindre.co.uk/

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:26 pm

I bought one of these to bring to Australia in October, yes it is heavy but it is OK for most type of fishing, I even used it to cast a waggler for perch or red fin as they call them. it handled everything I needed including some small sting ray from the pier. No complaints

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:54 pm

I use a Shimano Beastmaster STC spin 300/330H. It's a six piece travel rod (11' or 10' depending on which sections are fitted). Optimum casting weights 20-50g).

It's all-rounder for me: spinning and light wobbling for pike and spinning from the shore for pollack and bass. I also use it for float-fishing for wrasse as well as a bit of mackeral bashing.

I use it with a Shimano Baitrunner 6000RE fixed spool and 12 -15lb line. It goes everywhere with me and I keep in the boot of the car 'Just in case.'

It's pretty tough and hasn't given any problems after two years of heavy use and a lot of travel (including eight plane journeys), apart from some of the guides turning a bit green from exposure to salt water.