Travel Rod

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi,

I’m just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a travel rod that could be used for rock, pier and beach fishing?

My thanks in advance.

Re: Travel Rod

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:21 pm

i got the shakespear salt travel rod 11ft6 and comes in 6 sections.
its rated 4-8oz so its a bit stiffer than the rods i usually use but that would be my only complaint, other than that i perfectly happy with it. saying that though its pretty stable in windy conditions so you can still see the bites
comes with a cordura tude and its not that dear either
http://www.spottydogtackle.com/contents/en-uk/p1539.html

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:59 pm

Yngkmd what size does it break down to would it fit into a suitcase?

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:13 am

its a 6 piece rod and breaks down to 2 ft sections
fits in my large suitcase

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks for that Yngkmd, much appreciated.

I’m wondering do you have any recommendations on fixed spool reels to use with the rod?

I’ve been looking online and it seems to suggest using a Shakespeare Salt FDX/Surf Reel.
Does anyone have any thoughts on these reels?

Thanks again

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Yngkmd Cheers for that.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:12 pm

salt reels not bad comes with two spolls but is heavy

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi Rob85
Last year the SHAKESPEARE SALTWATER Fishing Rod 3 Piece 10ft and its a great all round rod and 3 piece is really handy. And ive used it the same day for beach casting then later on spinning off the rocks.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Thanks for that Tommy.
Think I'm going to go with a Shimano aerlex 7000 xsa. Its seems like a nice little reel and could go well with the Shakespeare salt travel rod. It has also gotten some good reviews, but I'll have to say goodbye to my budget!

Thanks Caseys - I looked at that rod but think I'm going with the travel rod, like the idea that it will fit into a suitcase.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Rod85 wrote:Think I'm going to go with a Shimano aerlex 7000 xsa.

Aerlex is a nice reel but it has no spare spool and its in and around €40 to buy a spool.

Travel Rod

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:59 pm

I use the shimano beastmaster travel rod - the second section can be swapped out with a heavier piece(included), so it can be used for heavier fish. It's in a stiff carry case, all about 2.5ft long, so it packs easily. The case isn't full, so you can include som bits & pieces without annoying the better half.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 pm

timod wrote:
Rod85 wrote:Think I'm going to go with a Shimano aerlex 7000 xsa.

Aerlex is a nice reel but it has no spare spool and its in and around €40 to buy a spool.

Ebay and about 15 yoyos a spool, just thinking here to get a spare one :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Carp- ... 27c7bab9af