Century HPR Super Match - Preview

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Century HPR Super Match - Preview

Postby JPS » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:59 am

With improvements in technology coming through at an ever increasing pace its great to see a top class company like Century embracing that and incorporating it into the fishing rods being offered to anglers and casters around the world.

One such development is the new High Performance Resin's that are being applied to their top line rods from the lightweight lure rods, Carp rods and now specifically into their sea rods. I have had the pleasure of working with one of these developments in the way of the Super Match rod. Initial trials were conducted with three tip variants to see which would best suit the conditions of a wide range of anglers best and after a few months testing both in Australia and other countries the heavier of the three was selected as being the best match to the butt section which has been set to cover leads right up to 200 gram .

Testing has been focused on the water and I am still to do a range of out and out distance trials with the rod but that will come in the very near future. The Rods specification are derived from the current Tip Tornado Super match which has a top flight record of delivering what anglers are looking for.
Now before everyone thinks that I will start to say this rod is the best thing since sliced bread I wont. The new materials have given this rod very specific characteristic that whilst of the highest quality may not suit all anglers.
The area of the rod that I both like and dislike is the tip, the new material has allowed a slimmer profile and super fast recovery but also a high degree of flex , this will suit a high swing caster or a caster with a nice slow style but it does not give me the best with my faster than prefered style of cast. As you will see in the attached video for a caster with a slow well timed style it loads and send the leads out with consumate ease , Thankfully I had a friend by the name of Mark Johnston that has just such a style and put it to good effect on the beach when I first took the rod down to give it a run.

Here is the initial footage for you to see what I am talking about.

http://youtu.be/Kv9o-F84CFA

Since these initial trials I have had a number of subsequent trips down the coast trying to get into a few big fish and to also see how she performed on a wide variety of conditions from calm pleasant summer days to weather that would normally see sane people sitting at home keeping warm.

(The HPR at 13th Beach )

Thoughout the testing the rod has impressed me with the way it showed bites from small Salmon and Pinky snapper though to the larger Skates that I got stuck into . Sadly I didn't get to hook into the better quality Gummies ( Smooth Hounds ) and Large snapper that I was targeting but still got to put a decent bend in her.

(One of the larger Skate that the rod has accounted for )

As Century's current practice the rod is set up with the Fuji "K" guides in the medium format which has proved to be excellent for using the rod for both multiplier and Thread line (Mix Spool ) reels , though I still have to put the rod though its paces with my range of threadlines.

( The slim profile of the HPR can be seen her with a nice loading coming from the 6 oz grip lead - It's the one on the left :D )

Casting with the rod has improved for me as I came to grips with the way the rod loads and by slowing my cast down on the turn I have been pleasantly supprised at how it sends out weights from 125 to 200 gram as well as a resaonable sized payload of bait. I find the rod excellent with the 150 gram leads and for me this was the best, by way of my timing and the distances that were achieved on the water. More use with the heavier leads is seeing improvements and the rod has no problems with them at all.

I haven't see the final production bindings so haven't taken any photos of that as my version is simply bound with a black overbind and does not do the rod justice, so will wait till that come out officially .

Given the other ords that are currently being tested with the new technology I feel confident that Century will once again show why they have earned a reputation for top class products that produce both on the beach as well as on the casting courts around the world.

Really looking forward to putting the new range of more powerfull rods through ther paces but that will have to wait till I put in my next order but given the results that some very notable gentlem have been achieving I can't wait.

Till then I hope this helps people appreciate what a top class company is doing for anglers and casters :D

For this message the author JPS has received thanks: 2
MC (Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:01 pm), sea serpant (Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:55 pm)
JPS
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers