Penn Squall 60 lever drag boat reel

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Just wondering if anyone has one of these and could give their impressions of the reel, it comes in left hand version so I would be interested in picking one up, it has the line capacity for shark fishing but I'm not sure on reliability and overall performance, at 169 sterling it is pricey enough but nowhere as bad as similar sized lever drags.

Re: Penn Squall 60 lever drag boat reel

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi Just put 50euro deposit on a sql50 yesterday so will let you know shortly how I get on

Sat May 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Just got my penn squall 50lb nice bit of kit looks like it will handle anything I will get. Going to load it with 80lb braid and put it on my Grauvell java 50 I hope the rig will do the job. Cant wait to try it out on a few porkies and tope. :D Roll on the next few weeks and hope the wind settles down for a few days

Sat May 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Porgie + braid? You sure about that?

One of the 5% of times I'd go for mono over braid.

Sat May 05, 2012 6:07 pm

donegalcatch wrote:Just got my penn squall 50lb nice bit of kit looks like it will handle anything I will get. Going to load it with 80lb braid and put it on my Grauvell java 50 I hope the rig will do the job. Cant wait to try it out on a few porkies and tope. :D Roll on the next few weeks and hope the wind settles down for a few days

A tope on that outfit is a big over kill no fun at all, as said braid and porgies not good :x