Fishing rod tip lights

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Fishing rod tip lights

Postby kopidol » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Has any one used these?http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1-x-FISHING-ROD-TIP-LIGHTS-all-BATTERIES-inside-light-/150658120432?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Fishing_FishingRods_EH&hash=item2313ec7af0#ht_11458wt_722
kopidol
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Fishing rod tip lights

Postby Seaniebo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi kopidol,

I like many others here have used tip lights in the past but never really got on with them.

Theres a few problems that can occur from them flying off during the cast, to line getting wrapped around them etc.

A much better option is to use reflective tape on your rod tip. Cut it into thin strips and wrap it around your rod tip in the same pattern as one of them barber shop sign things.

This is the stuff I use, available in most halfords in a few different colours:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165549

Hope this helps.
I require a tremendous amount of calcium

http://www.saisac.org/

For this message the author Seaniebo has received thanks:
kopidol (Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:47 pm)
Seaniebo
Unstoppable....

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby paul skelly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi I use them and would not go fishing without them , if fit the wrong way around yes they will fly off when casting but iv never had this problem, they can and will get cought in your line if u don't check it each and every cast, they are easily damaged by salt water so u must look after them, the reason I like to use them is you can turn off your head light so u don't spook any fish and the batteries last longer in your head lamp :D
But that's just my opinion I'm sure some of the lads will disagree :|
Hope this helps
Paul
Give a man a fire he will be warm for a night,
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Species from the shore 2011:21
Species from the shore 2012:34,
Species from the shore 2013:40
Species from the shore 2014:36
Species from the shore 2015:35
Species from the shore 2016:30
: whiting,pouting,dab,shore rockling,5xb beard rockling,flounder,dogfish,grunt,white sea bream,banded sea bream,black damselfish,blue damselfish, ornate wrasse,lizard fish,sea trout,red gurnard,bass,tornback ray smoothhound,Corkwing wrasse,poor cod,ballon wrasse,cod,pollock,conger,spotted ray,bullhuss,mackerel ,tub gurnard,place,lesser weever,

Wish list: ray
paul skelly
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 257 times

Postby yngkmd » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:54 pm

i got these but didnt like them because after 2 trips the saltwater had eaten the elastic band holding it on and just snapped

i got these instead
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK4-TIP-LIGHT-BEACH-SHORE-ROCK-FISHING-MARK-FOUR-4-/150723420385?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&var=&hash=item68c93591ec

certainly more expensive but lighter than the others, these also require a holder to be whipped onto the rod which is no big deal
the holder is supposed to the light in place by itself but ive never tried that as i always have a roll of electrical tape in my bag and give it a wind of that to be sure its secure
2012 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock, Whiting, Colefish (New PB), Shore Rockling, Flounder (New PB), 5 Bearded Rockling (New Species), Dogfish, Pouting, Plaice, Dab, Lesser Sandeel (New Species), Cod (New PB), Long Spine Sea Scorpion, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Goldsinney Wrasse, Butterfish (New Species), Ling (PB), Halibut (New Species), Haddock (New Species), Red Fish (New Species), Wolffish (New Species), Rockcook Wrasse, Shanny, Poorcod, Conger

2011 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock(PB), Lumpfish (New Species), Whiting, Colefish, Codling(PB), Dab, Pouting, Shore Rockling, Conger (PB), Blenny, Corkwing Wrasse, Three Bearded Rockling (new Species), Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Ballan Wrasse, Plaice, LSSS, Poor Cod (new Species that i know of), Sand Smelt (new Species), Herring (new Species)
yngkmd
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby paul skelly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:45 pm

Ye the mark 4's are the lads I use :wink:
Give a man a fire he will be warm for a night,
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Species from the shore 2011:21
Species from the shore 2012:34,
Species from the shore 2013:40
Species from the shore 2014:36
Species from the shore 2015:35
Species from the shore 2016:30
: whiting,pouting,dab,shore rockling,5xb beard rockling,flounder,dogfish,grunt,white sea bream,banded sea bream,black damselfish,blue damselfish, ornate wrasse,lizard fish,sea trout,red gurnard,bass,tornback ray smoothhound,Corkwing wrasse,poor cod,ballon wrasse,cod,pollock,conger,spotted ray,bullhuss,mackerel ,tub gurnard,place,lesser weever,

Wish list: ray
paul skelly
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 257 times

Postby SlackLiner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 pm

paul skelly wrote:Ye the mark 4's are the lads I use :wink:

Second that!
2012 Species: Pollock, Coalie, Flounder, Whiting, Cod, 5bd Rockling, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, LSD, Spurdog, Tope, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Tub Gurnard, Plaice, Dab, Bass, Cuckoo Wrasse

Member - LADSAC
SlackLiner
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby SlackLiner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 pm

paul skelly wrote:Ye the mark 4's are the lads I use :wink:

Aye to that!
2012 Species: Pollock, Coalie, Flounder, Whiting, Cod, 5bd Rockling, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, LSD, Spurdog, Tope, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Tub Gurnard, Plaice, Dab, Bass, Cuckoo Wrasse

Member - LADSAC
SlackLiner
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby Rampent Wreckfish » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Seaniebo wrote:Hi kopidol,

I like many others here have used tip lights in the past but never really got on with them.

Theres a few problems that can occur from them flying off during the cast, to line getting wrapped around them etc.

A much better option is to use reflective tape on your rod tip. Cut it into thin strips and wrap it around your rod tip in the same pattern as one of them barber shop sign things.

This is the stuff I use, available in most halfords in a few different colours:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165549

Hope this helps.

I think you have some very good advice here.
UP THE DEISE!!!!!!!

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

KStaff winning matches is the new black.
Rampent Wreckfish
First Time Angler

Have thanks: 119 times

Postby red » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 pm

i have some of that tape from halfords here, send me a pm with your address and ill post enough to do a rod so you can try it out.
its better than any of the stuff sold as "tip tape" ive seen, and thin enough that it doesnt affect the rod. ive a pic of it here
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30913&p=242702&hilit=halfords#p242702

For this message the author red has received thanks:
kopidol (Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:22 pm)
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby cormac sparks » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:02 am

I got a couple of boxs in lidil the last time they had there fishing gear in. they were about a fiver for 50. You just bend it shake it and tape it on they stay lite for about 8 hours or more long enough for a full nights fishing. they come in a selection of colours so you can have one on each rod for easier bite detection
cormac sparks
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers