magicshine 808 headlamp.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Just decided to give this light a quick write up.Like a lot of people i too had been looking for a compact bright headlamp that would'nt cost the earth.Well a friend of mine who does a bit of mountain biking at night[nutter] gave me a heads up to try this out.
Well took the plunge after a bit of research and im over the moon with it .I've used it since xmas and to anyone wanting a bright[very] with decent spread of light and decent battery life this is worth a punt.It has 5 light levels.The brightest which is allegedly 900 lumens is too bright for normal fishing but brill if rock hopping,it lasts about 2hrs 20 mins on this setting,the next down is perfect for spotting fish way out in the surf and lasts about 4 hrs the next is ideal for general fishing and lasts upto 7hrs and then the others have a disco strobe light and the last has a built in sos signal.
I had to buy an extension cable and separate headpiece for a few extra quid so the total came in around 80 sterling.I bought from smatackle in the uk and parcel arrived in 2 days no probs.The light was a bit finicky to set up using the headpiece but just use the o rings supplied :oops: and it will be sorted quickly.
It has impressed me greatly and i know its early days yet so to anyone wanting to try a real quality bit of kit thats a bit differant then this maybe the answer.Oh one word of warning this light is seriously bright so don't shine at any other anglers,you have been warned.
Tight lines

Re: magicshine 808 headlamp.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:25 pm

It has impressed me greatly and i know its early days yet so to anyone wanting to try a real quality bit of kit thats a bit differant then this maybe the answer.Oh one word of warning this light is seriously bright so don't shine at any other anglers,you have been warned.
Tight lines

It was like fishing beside the Hook lighthouse the other nite :lol:

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Thats right seanie and that was on the low setting :shock: .No wonder there was so much boat activity in front of us whenever the full setting was used. 8)

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:04 am

beachbuddy wrote:ust decided to give this light a quick write up.Like a lot of people i too had been looking for a compact bright headlamp that would'nt cost the earth.Well a friend of mine who does a bit of mountain biking at night[nutter] gave me a heads up to try this out.
Well took the plunge after a bit of research and im over the moon with it .I've used it since xmas and to anyone wanting a bright[very] with decent spread of light and decent battery life this is worth a punt.It has 5 light levels.The brightest which is allegedly 900 lumens is too bright for normal fishing but brill if rock hopping,it lasts about 2hrs 20 mins on this setting,the next down is perfect for spotting fish way out in the surf and lasts about 4 hrs the next is ideal for general fishing and lasts upto 7hrs and then the others have a disco strobe light and the last has a built in sos signal.
I had to buy an extension cable and separate headpiece for a few extra quid so the total came in around 80 sterling.I bought from smatackle in the uk and parcel arrived in 2 days no probs.The light was a bit finicky to set up using the headpiece but just use the o rings supplied :oops: and it will be sorted quickly.
Tight lines

i was looking into getting one of these a few months ago after reading good reviews from the bike lads but iv read there might be a problem with them overheating if your not moving fast enough for the wind to cool it down, how do you find yours? dose it overheat at all? im still thinking about getting one but that kind of put me off.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Ya saw a few reports like that on the bike reviews.There are a fair few reviews on the world sea fishing forum regarding the light and theres no mention of such issues to date which helped me make my mind up to be honest.The light piece def feels hot but not majorily when finishing up after a session.
Id imagine if been used on the highest setting with no wind blowing then the headpiece would heat up as most lights would i know my tiga used get nice and warm.Really have high hopes for this light and as the brightest setting is just too bright for general beachfishing and the lowest setting is plenty and to date ive no issues with my head been sizzled.
I'll report back as soon as any issues arise which hopefully won't happen.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:45 pm

thanks beachbuddy, i was going to get it form a site in america called geomangear, will you send us on where you got yours and what extras you got, cheers.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 pm

eeler wrote:thanks beachbuddy, i was going to get it form a site in america called geomangear, will you send us on where you got yours and what extras you got, cheers.

SMA tackle where beachbuddy bought his are out of stock at the minute so I just ordered one from torchythetorchman on ebay there now, €100 delivered with extension lead and headstrap, he's a top rated seller so should be ok.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi lads another site is magicshine .co.uk but the prices are a little bit extra than some of the other sites mentioned.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Got myself one of those CREE XML led headlights from China and have to say they are seriously bright! Ive yet to field test!

For extra performance also got 5000mah batteries too for longer use!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi lads well I am now the owner of the 808 headlamp from Magicshine £ 79 inc p and p put it together and it sure is as mike said very bright on low and immense on high. Well worth the money be testing it during the week :P :P

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Well the lamp has been well and truelly tested now with the latest weather we had and I have had no problems at all except the moths at night have started using sunglasses when the fly into the beam :lol: :lol: :lol: