anyone know what this is for?

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

anyone know what this is for?

Postby The Austrian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:32 pm

I came across a rather strange looking device recently on an eBay site from China and was hoping maybe someone here can clear up my confusion. I am fishing now for more than 40 years and never have seen anything close to it neither in freshwater fishing nor in sea angling.

Here is a picture of the mystery device:
mystery rig.JPG
mystery rig.JPG (51.47 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

I have mailed the distributor for an explanation what fish are targeted and how the thing is supposed to work, his response (most of it probably lost in translation :lol: ) was this:

Hello friend.

This for big fish.like Grass carp, carp, the herring.you can try this below:

1, the food group clutched the real, in the middle break apart, explosion hook on top of the line caught in the bait;

2, the average allocation hook in the location of the food groups, Gou Jian inwards, insert bait Mission; (very important, related to the hook in the bait distribution)

3, the left hand grip the main line of hook exploded on the bait group (main role is to block the bait) the right hand to pull the explosive hook, explosion hook the sub-line is like the lantern muscles tightly to draw the live bait group;

4, once again clenched the food groups, spare.

Recommended use of lead sinkers

1, the principle of explosion hook fishing --------- thrown designated 4-5 minutes of opening, the hook is buried in the bait fish into taking the hook to breathe mouth, pull the pole in fish;

Without sinker, the main line can not tighten, tighten the bait of casual hook pulled away from the bait pile, could not catch any fish, the position can be fixed hook bait, sinker and increase the probability of the fish;

The use of lead sinkers can discover the fishing season to send line (thread).

thanks a lot.
hannah

which leaves me just as bamboozled. Any ideas?
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Re: anyone know what this is for?

Postby seanie35 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:43 pm

:lol: hm thats some description , i reckon the center coil is to hold some sort of ground bait??? Maybe
Species....good film.....I'll get my coat

For this message the author seanie35 has received thanks:
The Austrian (Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:08 pm)
seanie35
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 231 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Creep » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:46 pm

A Chinese version of a killer pennel?? :shock: Ask if they could send you a chinese script and your local chinese takeaway might help you with the transaltion? I know mine does ;)
list 2013 (10) Ballan Wrasse, (17) Smooth Hounds (6lb, 2oz, best so far this year), (47) LSD, (2) shore Rockling, (1) Long spine scorpion, (9) flounder, (8) Dab (2)Bass (3) Mackerel (2) lance (2) Plaice (2) Pollock (1) whiting

List 2012: (83) Whitting, (2) Plaice, (20) 5 Beard Rockling, (3) Coalie, (1) 3 Beard Rockling PB 40cm, (8)Pouting, (1) poor cod, (49) LSD(PB: 3lb.2oz), (1) Shore Rockling, (2) Codling, (2) Long Spine Scorpion, (6) Pollock (25) flounder (b) (1) mackrel (1) Turbot PB19cm (10)dab (6) Smooth Hound (2) Twaite Shad, (2)Thornback Ray(PB: 4lb 5oz), (34) Mackrel (Shore), (35) Lance PB31cm, (1) pipe fish, (1)Bull Huss 3lb 150z, (1) Octopus (2)corkwing wrasse, (1) Dragonet

List 2011: 16 species (267 fish caught)

Reel Anglers Don’t Litter

For this message the author Creep has received thanks:
The Austrian (Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:24 pm)
Creep
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Postby The Austrian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:20 pm

seanie35 wrote::lol: hm thats some description , i reckon the center coil is to hold some sort of ground bait??? Maybe

that's what I thought too Sean, but what is the purpose of all these hooks around the coil? They cant be meant to be gulped down with the coil included from a greedy fish? (don't want to unhook that one :lol: ) The single hook seems to be assigned for some sort of life or dead fish bait whilst the ground bait in the spiral is acting as a decoy? Could this make any sense? And why the braided hook links? Very strange indeed.
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby The Austrian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Creep wrote:A Chinese version of a killer pennel?? :shock: Ask if they could send you a chinese script and your local chinese takeaway might help you with the transaltion? I know mine does ;)

very good idea, I try to convince the seller to send me the description in the original lingo. Good excuse to go for a Chinese :lol:
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby Determined Dan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:53 pm

hi i have seen something like these. they had one hook in the middle and the coil was to hold on bread for mullet when casting far. hook size was very small.
20107xthornback ray. {PB 14.5LB TB RAY} 1xpouting. 1xcodling.11xdogfish. 25xflounder.1xshore rock ling. 177xmac 4xturbot.1 bull huss.1sea trout. 1 MAYO BASS.2011. WHITING X9. COALIE X3. FLOUNDER X7. DOGGIE X8. THORNIEX3. CODLINGX1. SEA SCORPIONX1. 5 BEARDED ROCKLINGX4. SEATROUT X1. TURBOT X1. POLLACK X7. 3 BEARD ROCKLING .2012 SEATROUT X3. TURBOT X5. FLOUNDER X7. 3B,ROCKLINGX1.DOG .
. 2013.shore species ..... Flounder, dog conger pollack sea trout plaice. Gobyx3 wrasse cork wing wrasse Huss scorpion fish sp. coalie .

For this message the author Determined Dan has received thanks:
The Austrian (Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:01 am)
Determined Dan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby SlackLiner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Saw something similar to this in a shop in Romania once and bought a couple coz they just looked plain odd! Thought it was quite similar to a traditional freshwater eel rig? If what you have is one of these I believe each or some of the hooks are baited with a large bunch of worms and lowered into a likely looking hole in a river and jigged. Although the cage in the one in your photo does looks like a method feeder which wouldn't be on said eel rig? Whatever it is it looks pretty lethal anyway!

p.s. the 'translation' rocks :lol: :lol:
2012 Species: Pollock, Coalie, Flounder, Whiting, Cod, 5bd Rockling, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, LSD, Spurdog, Tope, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Tub Gurnard, Plaice, Dab, Bass, Cuckoo Wrasse

Member - LADSAC

For this message the author SlackLiner has received thanks:
The Austrian (Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am)
SlackLiner
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby The Austrian » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:01 am

Determined Dan wrote:hi i have seen something like these. they had one hook in the middle and the coil was to hold on bread for mullet when casting far. hook size was very small.

thanks Dan, I know the rig you are talking about but this gadget seems to be entirely different, it's not a running ledger to allow bites to be recognized. Weird device.
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby The Austrian » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:16 am

SlackLiner wrote:Saw something similar to this in a shop in Romania once and bought a couple coz they just looked plain odd! Thought it was quite similar to a traditional freshwater eel rig? If what you have is one of these I believe each or some of the hooks are baited with a large bunch of worms and lowered into a likely looking hole in a river and jigged. Although the cage in the one in your photo does looks like a method feeder which wouldn't be on said eel rig? Whatever it is it looks pretty lethal anyway!

p.s. the 'translation' rocks :lol: :lol:

lethal might be the right word and with all the 'explosions' mentioned in the, ahem 'description' I'm afraid to use it without proper instructions :lol:
An eel rig, hmm, maybe? I mailed the seller yesterday for the original text to get it translated from my local Asian restaurant. Seems to be the only way to really find out what it is for. Could be completely useless here but just to satisfy the curiosity.
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby Creep » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49 am

When you find out let us know, I would love to see how the "Explosive" device works!?!? New methods of fishing these days huh! :lol:
list 2013 (10) Ballan Wrasse, (17) Smooth Hounds (6lb, 2oz, best so far this year), (47) LSD, (2) shore Rockling, (1) Long spine scorpion, (9) flounder, (8) Dab (2)Bass (3) Mackerel (2) lance (2) Plaice (2) Pollock (1) whiting

List 2012: (83) Whitting, (2) Plaice, (20) 5 Beard Rockling, (3) Coalie, (1) 3 Beard Rockling PB 40cm, (8)Pouting, (1) poor cod, (49) LSD(PB: 3lb.2oz), (1) Shore Rockling, (2) Codling, (2) Long Spine Scorpion, (6) Pollock (25) flounder (b) (1) mackrel (1) Turbot PB19cm (10)dab (6) Smooth Hound (2) Twaite Shad, (2)Thornback Ray(PB: 4lb 5oz), (34) Mackrel (Shore), (35) Lance PB31cm, (1) pipe fish, (1)Bull Huss 3lb 150z, (1) Octopus (2)corkwing wrasse, (1) Dragonet

List 2011: 16 species (267 fish caught)

Reel Anglers Don’t Litter
Creep
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Postby MAC » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 am

It's for catching for the plate, not for fun. Put a bit ball of bait around the cage. Just like a method feeder. I guess hooks can be baited separately or covered with the same ball of bait. As the fish nip away at the bait ball they will inevitably be snared by one of the hooks.... just my guess!

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>

For this message the author MAC has received thanks:
The Austrian (Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:49 pm)
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby The Austrian » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:53 pm

MAC wrote:It's for catching for the plate, not for fun. Put a bit ball of bait around the cage. Just like a method feeder. I guess hooks can be baited separately or covered with the same ball of bait. As the fish nip away at the bait ball they will inevitably be snared by one of the hooks.... just my guess!

Kev

Kevin, your guess might be right and this was my suspicion when I saw the thingy first. Plainly spoken: a rig for the mass murder of pin whiting, really badly needed here :lol:
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby sully » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:38 pm

God thats a serious device alright, the translation was totally baffling it would be interesting to see what its actually designed for! Let us know how it goes with the chinese..... and the translation :lol:
sully
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Tanglerat » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:02 pm

My money's on the "explosion" bit being a mistranslation of "boom".
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby cam123 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:36 pm

'Explosion hook fishing' eh?... Sounds good ill take 10 of em :lol: :lol: :lol:
Species 2011: Bass, Codling, Conger, Flounder, Dab, LSD, Pollock, Whiting, Poor Cod, 3 Bearded Rockling, Turbot, Huss, Mackeral, Smoothound (pup), Coalie.

Species 2012: Coalie, Dogfish, 3 beard rockling,

http://www.westcorkanddistrict.webs.com
cam123
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby gfkelly1969 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

got one before and asked the same questions and got answers here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21426

I tried it a few times but it always came back in a mess
lifetime species fishing and rock pool
1 dogfish,2 whiting,3 flounder,4 two spot goby,5 mackerel,6 pollack,7 common blenny,8 European eel,9 butterfish,10 Deep-snouted pipefish,11 rock goby,12 poor cod,13 corkwing wrasse,14 coalfish,15 turbot,16 tompot blenny,17 dab,18 dragonet,19 shorerockling,20 thornback ray,21 three bearded rockling,22 sandeel,23 grey gurnard,24 sea scorpion,25 scad,26 plaice,27 ballen wrasse,28 bullhuss,29 conger eel,30 blue shark,31 blonde ray,32 cod,33 pouting,34 topknot,35 Fifteen-spine Stickleback,36 mullet,37 Sand Goby,38 Montagu's Blenny,39 Three-spined Stickleback,40 goldshinny wrasse,41 painted goby,42 five bearded rockling,43 Sand-Smelt,44 Small-headed Clingfish ,45 sole

http://clifdenfishing.webs.com

http://clifdensearay.webs.com/

For this message the author gfkelly1969 has received thanks:
The Austrian (Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:44 pm)
gfkelly1969
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 223 times

Postby The Austrian » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Creep wrote:A Chinese version of a killer pennel?? :shock: Ask if they could send you a chinese script and your local chinese takeaway might help you with the transaltion? I know mine does ;)

Alright, I asked the lads in my local Asian yesterday evening but they didn't have a clue, maybe its a different chinese dialect (Mandarin?)

Anyway, if anyone wants to have a go and try for himself, here is the original description:

爆炸钩上饵方法

1、把饵料团攥实,中间掰开,把爆炸钩上边的线都夹在饵料中;

2、平均分配钩在饵料团的位置,把钩尖向内,插入饵料团;(很重要,关系到钩在饵料中的分布)

3、左手夹住饵料团上爆炸钩的主线,(主要作用是挡住饵料)右手拉爆炸钩,让爆炸钩的子线象灯笼的筋骨一样的紧紧拉拢住饵料团;

4、再次攥紧饵料团,备用。

建议用铅坠

1、爆炸钩钓鱼的原理是---------抛到定点后4到5分钟开始化开,钩埋在饵料中,鱼来吸食,把钩吸到嘴里,拉竿中鱼;

2、不用铅坠,主线就不可以绷紧,绷紧了饵料化散钩就被拉离饵料堆,钓不到鱼的,用铅坠可以固定钩饵的位置,提高中鱼概率;

3、用铅坠可以及时发现送线(松线)的鱼讯。
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Postby lugworm » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:19 am

my opinion is for a stuffed squid bait ide say, nip the tip off the squids mantle and as others have said stuff the cage with what ever, pull the main line with swivel clip completely up and thru the squid and out the tip so the cage would be on the inside of the squid.............thats my logic/2cents worth........some yoke tho lol........... :mrgreen:
WESTCORK AND DISTRICT S.A.C.

SPORTSCASTIRELAND
lugworm
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby gfkelly1969 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:14 am

lifetime species fishing and rock pool
1 dogfish,2 whiting,3 flounder,4 two spot goby,5 mackerel,6 pollack,7 common blenny,8 European eel,9 butterfish,10 Deep-snouted pipefish,11 rock goby,12 poor cod,13 corkwing wrasse,14 coalfish,15 turbot,16 tompot blenny,17 dab,18 dragonet,19 shorerockling,20 thornback ray,21 three bearded rockling,22 sandeel,23 grey gurnard,24 sea scorpion,25 scad,26 plaice,27 ballen wrasse,28 bullhuss,29 conger eel,30 blue shark,31 blonde ray,32 cod,33 pouting,34 topknot,35 Fifteen-spine Stickleback,36 mullet,37 Sand Goby,38 Montagu's Blenny,39 Three-spined Stickleback,40 goldshinny wrasse,41 painted goby,42 five bearded rockling,43 Sand-Smelt,44 Small-headed Clingfish ,45 sole

http://clifdenfishing.webs.com

http://clifdensearay.webs.com/

For this message the author gfkelly1969 has received thanks: 2
joeflan35 (Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:57 pm), The Austrian (Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:04 am)
gfkelly1969
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 223 times

Postby The Austrian » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:04 am

gfkelly1969 wrote:http://dybl.5d6d.com/thread-21807-1-1.html

你太有才了. :lol:
谢谢!

PS: my Chinese is getting a lot better after translating all these pages :P , well done, good find 8)
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers