Penn Powerstix

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:58 pm

Have been looking at both models and wondering what people reckon are better in terms of distance, ability to cope with fish of all sizes etc. I already have the bass rod which is nice. So 15' 9 or 13'? Cheers

Re: Penn Powerstix

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Personal choice really, i had a 16ft greys triplex and didnt like it, found it too long and sometimes quite awkward , i also had the 13ft powerstix and its a lovely rod. 13 to 14 foot would be my own preference in rod length.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks for the info Cam am heading towards the 13ft atm.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:03 pm

i have the 15ft9 version and i think its a good rod but its too long and clumsy for me as im only 5ft8
i would love the 13ft version

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks for the input, I'm still debating as I reckon the longer one will give extra distance. But 13ft would be ideal for all round use.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:58 pm

I know what you mean about distance, I thought the same when I bought a 16ft rod and it will probably get you extra distance with an overhead thump but if you cast pendulum or off the ground the shorter rod would be better distance wise. Most of the sports cast lads would use rods under 15ft and would have no probs with distance :wink:

Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:06 am

Iv a 13ft version and really can't fault it

Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi I have both rods and like them both, the 15.9th one can be a bit tricky on a steep beach other than that I can't fault them :wink:

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:25 am

Belfast angling centre have it for £80 at minute cheapest i've seen so far

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:35 pm

nice rod i have the 13 foot one like it a lot

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:02 pm

i really like the ability of the 13ft rod - you can have great sensitivity for scratching and it can throw the 120gram out nice also

if i had to pick one rod to cover as many types of fishing as possible it would be it - so versatile

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Thanks Corbeyeire, tis me 18th soon so am just looking at all options

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:36 pm

hi i was looking at this rod to and it looks the busness not to heavy to hold but looks like it could haul in anything.god luck with it.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:54 pm

wanted to try a long rod so got the penn affinity (16'). takes a bit of getting used to getting out of the wang it out cast mind set. if you do get a long one start casting short lobs with a gentle casting stroke. you'd be surprised the distance they get if you slow down the cast. they get heavy in the hand quicker on a windy day with the extra length and in a tripod in a strong wind you need gto weight the tripod down. havnt tried one in a sand spike so dont know. most of the time i leave it at home to be honest in favor of 12/13 footers. if you got one and didnt like it you would have no trouble selling it on.