rig winders

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

rig winders

Postby junior conger » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:44 pm

hi,

everytime i put my rigson rig winders when i try to take them off they always become tangled and then the snoods get knotted
does anyone know how i can stop this?
thanks
species 2010:20
wishlist:
cod over 5lbs!
a new match rod!!(accomplised k2 red metal!)

west cork and district sac
best fish 2010: 25lb conger eel

SPECIES 2011:= 2 species of rockling, colaie,codling whiting,pollock,gurnanrd,throback ray,grey gurnard
best fish 11 7 pound thornback ray
junior conger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

rig winders

Postby dfella25 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Do you write on the winder what rig it is? Mark the hooks 1,2 & 3 in the order that you want to take them off. I usually start to wind with the top of the rig so the bottom snood goes around again after the weight clip holding it all together. This is the first hook I remove and slowly unravel the rig backwards.
dfella25
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 131 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: rig winders

Postby junior conger » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:53 pm

thakns for the reply, i mark what kind of rig it is but ill try it again and label the hooks and see if it hlps , thanks again for the help
species 2010:20
wishlist:
cod over 5lbs!
a new match rod!!(accomplised k2 red metal!)

west cork and district sac
best fish 2010: 25lb conger eel

SPECIES 2011:= 2 species of rockling, colaie,codling whiting,pollock,gurnanrd,throback ray,grey gurnard
best fish 11 7 pound thornback ray
junior conger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby The Austrian » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:38 pm

I always put them on the winder in reverse: hook + snoods first and the the rest of the rig. Make sure you have it labelled for next time. A little pin helps to keep the first link in place, even in dark conditions. Never had any troubles that way. Hope that helps and Happy Christmas!
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein

For this message the author The Austrian has received thanks:
junior conger (Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:03 pm)
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby Scone » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:05 pm

What I've used in the past, and I know it can be a pain in the arse what with the size of it, is a large carboard roll. Start at the end and wrap the rig, slowly moving down the roll. then when your taking the rig off, you can see where is start and where it ends. Not very practical when you have a long treck to the mark your fishing, but handy when your fishing out the back of a vehical. Works for me anyway, and I know theres easier ways as well.
Scone
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby shamoo0804 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:33 pm

As dfella says, I always wind on so the hook will be last component stuck in the rig.

If using a 3 hook trace I will put the 1st 2 hooks on one edge of the winder and the last hook on the opposite edge. This way I know which hook to remove 1st.

This method has never failed me.

I tend to put 2 hook rigs and pullys etc in a rig wallet and never had problems with them tangling badly, well nothing a minute or 2 wont sort anyhow.

For this message the author shamoo0804 has received thanks:
junior conger (Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:04 pm)
shamoo0804
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby eoghanb » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Dont forget the pipe insulation ,its great for makin rig winders
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Postby septicsac » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:21 am

eoghanb wrote:Dont forget the pipe insulation ,its great for makin rig winders

or tip down to your local swimming pool and "borrow" some of their floats
septicsac
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Preston » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:05 am

pringles can is great and then empty kitchen roll holder fits inside to hold more rigs
2013 species : coalies,flounder(pb),whiting,dogfish,5 beard rockling
2012 species : cod,whiting,coalies;flounder,5 beard rockling,bass,dogfish,dab

For this message the author Preston has received thanks:
roryodonnell (Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:26 pm)
Preston
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby paul mason » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 am

My top tip.
I have heard a lot of lads complaining about getting their rigs tangled when unwinding from rig winders like the tronix rig winders.You all know what a pain in the a**e it is when you're into fish and just lost a gear and when you go unwind another rig and it ends up in a ball of s**te...... "I have a simple solution",.....

I start by winding on the top swivel first keeping everything taught until you have the top swivel covered and secured. Continue winding down the length of the rig including the snood. When you come to the hook simply wind the rig body around the hook shaft a couple of times stick the hook into the winder and continue to the next hook and do the same. If using a three hook flapper with a trailing hook just continue winding and stick the hook into the lip of the winder so you'll know which hook to start unwinding first.

When using three hook clipped rigs what I do is pass the hook through the cascade swivel eye this secures it to the main body and stick the hook into the winder.This saves the rig body from getting kinked.

When unwinding I hold the winder between my forefinger and thumb unhook the last hook (the one stuck in the lip for identification purposes) pull and hey presto your rig should come off in as one piece.

I have used this system for years and found it fool proof

The only drawback with this is the rig body gets a little kinked but a good pull usually irons out this problem.
Kstaff has always been the new black in my eyes anyway!!!!!!!

Indomitable spirit - never giving up or wanting to give up.

http://www.adverts.ie/shops/east-coast-tackle/

http://www.eastcoasttackle.ie

East Coast Tackle
paul mason
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby alancooper » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Good tips already - also insulating tape to hold down snood ends and hooks sunk into wine bottle corks.
alancooper
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby yngkmd » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:17 pm

i dont use winders i use a wallet but i always cut the snoods off at the end of a session so i only have the rig body to deal with when taking it out again and its never tangled too badly

the only reason i do this is i always think the snoods will have been weakened during the session rubbing on rocks and weed and crab claws and occasionaly fish so i always feel better starting with a fresh one

only takes a second to tie on a bit of line and a hook
2012 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock, Whiting, Colefish (New PB), Shore Rockling, Flounder (New PB), 5 Bearded Rockling (New Species), Dogfish, Pouting, Plaice, Dab, Lesser Sandeel (New Species), Cod (New PB), Long Spine Sea Scorpion, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Goldsinney Wrasse, Butterfish (New Species), Ling (PB), Halibut (New Species), Haddock (New Species), Red Fish (New Species), Wolffish (New Species), Rockcook Wrasse, Shanny, Poorcod, Conger

2011 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock(PB), Lumpfish (New Species), Whiting, Colefish, Codling(PB), Dab, Pouting, Shore Rockling, Conger (PB), Blenny, Corkwing Wrasse, Three Bearded Rockling (new Species), Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Ballan Wrasse, Plaice, LSSS, Poor Cod (new Species that i know of), Sand Smelt (new Species), Herring (new Species)
yngkmd
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby BLconger » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:12 am

Pipe insulation is my preferred leader store
BLconger

Postby PaddyB » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:11 am

shamoo0804 wrote:As dfella says, I always wind on so the hook will be last component stuck in the rig.

If using a 3 hook trace I will put the 1st 2 hooks on one edge of the winder and the last hook on the opposite edge. This way I know which hook to remove 1st.

This method has never failed me.

I tend to put 2 hook rigs and pullys etc in a rig wallet and never had problems with them tangling badly, well nothing a minute or 2 wont sort anyhow.

I do the same, except I start with the lead clip on first, that way I end up with the swivel, that clips onto the mainline as the last thing wound onto the rig winder, I hold this in place with a pin.

When I use the rig, I attach the it to the mainline first, by the swivel, and then unravel the rig, this always avoids tangles.
PaddyB
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby paul mason » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:14 pm

paul mason wrote:My top tip.
I have heard a lot of lads complaining about getting their rigs tangled when unwinding from rig winders like the tronix rig winders.You all know what a pain in the a**e it is when you're into fish and just lost a gear and when you go unwind another rig and it ends up in a ball of s**te...... "I have a simple solution",.....

I start by winding on the top swivel first keeping everything taught until you have the top swivel covered and secured. Continue winding down the length of the rig including the snood. When you come to the hook simply wind the rig body around the hook shaft a couple of times stick the hook into the winder and continue to the next hook and do the same. If using a three hook flapper with a trailing hook just continue winding and stick the hook into the lip of the winder so you'll know which hook to start unwinding first.

When using three hook clipped rigs what I do is pass the hook through the cascade swivel eye this secures it to the main body and stick the hook into the winder.This saves the rig body from getting kinked.

When unwinding I hold the winder between my forefinger and thumb unhook the last hook (the one stuck in the lip for identification purposes) pull and hey presto your rig should come off in as one piece.

I have used this system for years and found it fool proof

The only drawback with this is the rig body gets a little kinked but a good pull usually irons out this problem.

Planet Sea Fishing

Winner of the Dave Docwra DVDs for fishing tip is Paul Mason. New competition will be announced shortly. Thanks to all who entered. The tips will all feature on www.planetseafishing.com

Happy days!!!! about time I won something.
Kstaff has always been the new black in my eyes anyway!!!!!!!

Indomitable spirit - never giving up or wanting to give up.

http://www.adverts.ie/shops/east-coast-tackle/

http://www.eastcoasttackle.ie

East Coast Tackle

For this message the author paul mason has received thanks: 2
EricH (Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:28 pm), The Austrian (Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:28 pm)
paul mason
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby fisherman59 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 pm

H appy days!!!! about time I won something.[/quote] yep u said it paul :lol: :lol: :lol:
fisherman59
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 84 times

Postby Greenthumb » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:20 pm

The 3 hook flapper rigs when I wind them on I put the first 2 hooks on one side and last on the other. Fairly simple , works for me.
Greenthumb
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers