Best Affordable Fillet Knife??

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:40 pm

While I can see the benefit of forking out for a quality fillet, anything over €20 is a bit rich. I was just wondering has anyone a good recommendation on a decent budget type? I had the Berkley orange and grey one for about 2 years and I found it good. Managed to lose it though and picked up another type for around €16. But it's not the sharpest after 6 months and prone to rust. I always clean my gear and spray it with WD40 every once in a while after use. Just looking out for a new one and would appreciate any opinions.

Re: Best Affordable Fillet Knife??

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:36 pm

I got one in Ikea with a sharpener & lifetime guarantee for €16.

It cuts like a hot knife through butter, and for the amount of filleting you do, one sharpening a year would be plenty!

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:53 pm

IKEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I don't know Alby. I'd go for a knife and she'd get a new kitchen.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:38 pm

got a grauvell one for a tenner in courtown angling ,then i got another one last time i was down their as the first one got stolen and now lives in the kitchen :twisted:

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:11 pm

got one in tkmax 15yo yos :D

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:19 pm

wtf where you doing in their :shock: painting?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:59 pm

I try do my filleting at home and keep a few good knives here for that purpose. http://www.filleting-fish.com/ do excellent filleting knives. Dutch site, but you can wing you way through it and €7 quid postage to Ireland if I remember correctly. Buy the flexible one for the flats, and a stiffer knife for pretty much everything else. I use a cheap knife for the shore box as it gets much more abuse.

The site has put together the most comprehensive set of filleting videos out there. The knifes are excellent and good value so it would be good to put some business their way.

Kev

Best Affordable Fillet Knife??

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:38 pm

Cheers Kevin I'll have a mooch at that site. I'd be mainly using it for beach work for bait rather then filleting, joys of East Coast fishing!

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:10 pm

MAC wrote:I try do my filleting at home and keep a few good knives here for that purpose. http://www.filleting-fish.com/ do excellent filleting knives. Dutch site, but you can wing you way through it and €7 quid postage to Ireland if I remember correctly. Buy the flexible one for the flats, and a stiffer knife for pretty much everything else. I use a cheap knife for the shore box as it gets much more abuse.

The site has put together the most comprehensive set of filleting videos out there. The knifes are excellent and good value so it would be good to put some business their way.

Kev

I second that Kevin, bought 2 knifes (soft and hard blade) 4 years ago and I never looked back since. They are like the professional butcher knifes, only for fish. Superb Quality and can be highly recommended.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:48 pm

MAC wrote:I try do my filleting at home and keep a few good knives here for that purpose. http://www.filleting-fish.com/ do excellent filleting knives. Dutch site, but you can wing you way through it and €7 quid postage to Ireland if I remember correctly. Buy the flexible one for the flats, and a stiffer knife for pretty much everything else. I use a cheap knife for the shore box as it gets much more abuse.

Kev

thats a very useful site there,some great video's on how to fillet different species,thanks for sharing :)

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Fearghal that's a great link... fair play for posting it and the knives look the business.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:30 pm

connor i picked up a dam knife in c&j angling on the long mile rd for 12 yo yos very good quilty and comes with sharping stone

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:18 pm

gerber gator is a nice fillet knife for the price.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Lads i.m a Butcher for over 20yrs and trust me the best knives to buy is a 5inch boning knife all those shop knives R cheap steel-tin mix won,t hold a descent edge, remember all professional fish filleters use knife as butchers. don,t buy the flexie knives very dangerous to handle as blade can flex to easy. U can get u local butcher to order them work out round €10 each

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:06 am

That's a great idea. Always wondered where to get a really good butcher's boning knife but never thought to ask just my local butcher! I will be dropping it into conversation on Saturday morning for sure :wink: