Shimano 2011 Sea Bass Spinning Combo

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:30 pm

Link

Anyone know anything about it. Intended doing some spinning for mackerel bass and pollack down in kilmore.

Apologies if this is in wrong forum.

Thanks.

Re: Shimano 2011 Sea Bass Spinning Combo

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:36 am

i have a shimano speedmaster travel rod (spinning). while its very well made for a travel rod it lacks a bit of backbone - not much though.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:44 am

haven't used it but looks alright for the money, shimano make good stuff and even the entry-level catana reels are well regarded. Casting range for the rod is about right too but it doesn't say what length it is, you don't want any more than 9ft.

Remember that putting 'sea bass' on a rod doesn't mean anything, it's just marketing, so think about whether you will save anything once postage is accounted for.

I would not discount going into your local tackle dealer and seeing what they have. Look for a 10-40g or 15-50g spinning/lure rod with a fast or medium-fast action, 9ft is a good overall length, Shimano Vengeance spinning rods, Shimano catana rods are decent at this price range, as are Rovex and Comoran rods that are starting to become more and more common.

For a reel stick with the best Shimano you can afford in a 4000 size, or a Daiwa in a 3000 size, preferably with a front drag, and job's a good 'un.

Might well pick up something perfectly good locally for what that combo would cost once postage is factored in - assuming you can find it online - and also get some decent local info, advice on knots and techniques etc.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:26 am

roryodonnell wrote:Link

Anyone know anything about it. Intended doing some spinning for mackerel Bass and pollack down in kilmore.

Apologies if this is in wrong forum.

Thanks.

I saw an advert somewhere...could be Irish Angler.... That kit was advertised at €60 in local shops. If not available in your local shop give these a ring, they should be able to tell you who has in your area:http://www.milbrosport.com/

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks guys. More than helpful!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Casting range for the rod is about right too but it doesn't say what length it is, you don't want any more than 9ft.

Shimano Vengeance Sea Bass 240 Med/Heavy 2pc Spin 10-50g

I presume the 240 is "240cm", so just under 8ft.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:59 pm

what he said

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:20 pm

rockyb23 wrote:haven't used it but looks alright for the money, shimano make good stuff and even the entry-level catana reels are well regarded. Casting range for the rod is about right too but it doesn't say what length it is, you don't want any more than 9ft.

Remember that putting 'sea Bass' on a rod doesn't mean anything, it's just marketing, so think about whether you will save anything once postage is accounted for.

I would not discount going into your local tackle dealer and seeing what they have. Look for a 10-40g or 15-50g spinning/lure rod with a fast or medium-fast action, 9ft is a good overall length, Shimano Vengeance spinning rods, Shimano catana rods are decent at this price range, as are Rovex and Comoran rods that are starting to become more and more common.

For a reel stick with the best Shimano you can afford in a 4000 size, or a Daiwa in a 3000 size, preferably with a front drag, and job's a good 'un.

Might well pick up something perfectly good locally for what that combo would cost once postage is factored in - assuming you can find it online - and also get some decent local info, advice on knots and techniques etc.

Currently investigating Rovex Pro Lure 8/9 and Shimano Exage 4000fc. Thanks for your help.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:05 pm

yep those look nice for not much money. I'll qualify that by saying I haven't had one in my hand, but I've seen other Rovex rods in a local shop and they have a nice feel to them. They seem to be designed more along the lines of what people are looking for in saltwater lure rods these days (fast action, not too long, right casting range for wide range of popular lures and soft plastics) than the more traditional spinning rods that have their origins in salmon fishing (10-11ft with long cork handles, medium action, casting range often that little bit higher) - of course many people still use these happily and no doubt catch more than me. :D

Rovex definitely worth a punt for the price, unless someone has experience otherwise.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:19 pm

rockyb23 wrote:yep those look nice for not much money. I'll qualify that by saying I haven't had one in my hand, but I've seen other Rovex rods in a local shop and they have a nice feel to them. They seem to be designed more along the lines of what people are looking for in saltwater lure rods these days (fast action, not too long, right casting range for wide range of popular lures and soft plastics) than the more traditional spinning rods that have their origins in salmon fishing (10-11ft with long cork handles, medium action, casting range often that little bit higher) - of course many people still use these happily and no doubt catch more than me. :D

Rovex definitely worth a punt for the price, unless someone has experience otherwise.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Specifically, I'm intending getting the 8 quad travel version. Looking to get back into fishing after a loooooooong absence.