afaw rock rod and big beach

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi guys, has anyone any thoughts on the above rods? I'm look a couple of replacements for older rods. Is the rock rod up to the task of pulling big congers and huss out of the rough stuff?
Cheers in advance. Jonny

Re: afaw rock rod and big beach

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Jonny,

I think BigPhil had the rock rod. I have two big beachs and I think their great rods. They cast well and can deal with big fish, tides with weed and heavily mixed ground. The tip is grande for most bites. They can also be over head thumped for closer in fishing. Nearly all my fishing in the Shannon Estuary is done with these rods (see my blog). Some people are worried about the spigot mating being to short for ware but I haven't seen any ware on mine but I don't fish sandy beaches much. There are plenty of these rods hanging around so look for buying them second hand. I got both my rods in brand new condition second hand. Don't bother with the coasters as they rust on sight of water.

Donagh

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 am

Donagh wrote:Hi Jonny,

I think BigPhil had the rock rod. I have two big beachs and I think their great rods. They cast well and can deal with big fish, tides with weed and heavily mixed ground. The tip is grande for most bites. They can also be over head thumped for closer in fishing. Nearly all my fishing in the Shannon Estuary is done with these rods (see my blog). Some people are worried about the spigot mating being to short for ware but I haven't seen any ware on mine but I don't fish sandy beaches much. There are plenty of these rods hanging around so look for buying them second hand. I got both my rods in brand new condition second hand. Don't bother with the coasters as they rust on sight of water.

Donagh

I agree with Donagh I have a pair of AFAW's and the only reason they are not more popular imho is they dont have the ZZiplex logo on them. The earlier of the two that I have does have slight spigot wear but there is still a good ten mm to go and I have had it since they were first introduced to the market and it has had years of hardcore abuse. Also agree about the coasters so I replaced mine with reel seats which I prefer the feel of anyway.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:53 pm

i have the beach rod, its a pleasure to use. it is heavy than other rods out there weighted the same. I also found this with the AA match. they are great rods and you can easily pick one up for decent money now.
I would actually point you towards some of the penn range. the twin tips are awesome.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:48 pm

had the rock rod but sold it on, did a good job but i never had anything in double figures to really test it, just straps up to about 8-9lb or so.