Re: worst tripod for falling over

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:43 pm

well theres a good chance to test the tripod tonight with those strong southerlys :mrgreen: .anyone else fishing this lunatic moon eclipse :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:00 pm

saving private brian wrote:dont know how this topic hasw survived :mrgreen:

cos where all bored and love a good argument :lol:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:24 pm

i have a dawia tripod bought it a few months back and as it was my first tripod it fell over a few times on me but lately it has stayed up right and i have being fishing in windy conditions so from my experience its all down to knowing how to set up the tripod

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Fished in the windy winters and windy rainy summer :lol: :lol: :lol: and the lashing storms and my Ian Golds hasn't once fell over , also the lightweight of it i know with a long walk ahead to a mark its a hell of a lot lighter than a salt stand.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 pm

oh i wholeheartly agree with you its lighter than the shakespeare tripod but no way as sturdy :twisted:

sparkey+1 wrote:Fished in the windy winters and windy rainy summer :lol: :lol: :lol: and the lashing storms and my Ian Golds hasn't once fell over , also the lightweight of it i know with a long walk ahead to a mark its a hell of a lot lighter than a salt stand.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 pm

never ever had a problem with my ian golds and ive been out in pretty rough weather.the trick i think is to put the legs of the tripod firmly in the ground!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:32 pm

roger de dodger wrote:
saving private brian wrote:dont know how this topic hasw survived :mrgreen:

cos where all bored and love a good argument :lol:

Think you meant We're rodger :D :D :D :wink:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:08 am

Oh, we're keeping an eye on it!! i've just split the off topic stuff, keep this on topic please.. and no macho proving who's what from where please (ye know who ye are!)

the only bad tripod's out there are the telescopic ones, the light and flimsy ones and the ones with corrosive parts!

i have a breakaway tripod, and have had it for years, never had a problem with it, even though the top and rod holder parts are plastic, it seems to be made of strong stuff to not have broken in the several years i've had it, like the ian golds (i've used once or twice), i can't flaw it at all, and the bonus of it having hollow aluminium tubing means its light and floats,(which is handy when it accidentally gets knocked off the pier wall :oops: )

as mentioned its not the tools that are the problem, but the user, setting anything up in a wrong manner will always eventually come back to bite you on the behind.
that's my 2c

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:16 pm

No idea what my tripod is ive found the feet round so it slides on hard surfaces however on a beach or even slightly bumpy surfaces its fine and locks pretty well. It has hollow legs and shortens to fit nicely anywhere you want it, once extended the tips of my rods hang nicely and in rough conditions it does its job.
Dont see the point in buying an expensive tripod for the name, one that keeps my rods of the deck is good enough even if I have to break it and make a wall of metal its all I need :D

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:25 pm

2 sandspikes on a beach are better than any tripod i think

Gabbey11 wrote:No idea what my tripod is ive found the feet round so it slides on hard surfaces however on a beach or even slightly bumpy surfaces its fine and locks pretty well. It has hollow legs and shortens to fit nicely anywhere you want it, once extended the tips of my rods hang nicely and in rough conditions it does its job.
Dont see the point in buying an expensive tripod for the name, one that keeps my rods of the deck is good enough even if I have to break it and make a wall of metal its all I need :D

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:36 pm

2 sandspikes!

That's it Brian, on behalf of Tripods everywhere you're being banned from this topic! :D

Soft fine sand? Sand with rocks in it?

Sandspikes are useful on very rare occasions, and not commonly used any more, why? Tripods, especially Ian Golds ones. :D

What is very worth while for anyone who cares is one of the Shakespeare collapsable buckets, neat, tidy and when filled with water will stabalise any tripod in rough conditions or big fish chasing, also handy for cleaning your hands.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:01 pm

stevecrow74 wrote:Oh, we're keeping an eye on it!! i've just split the off topic stuff, keep this on topic please.. and no macho proving who's what from where please (ye know who ye are!)

the only bad tripod's out there are the telescopic ones, the light and flimsy ones and the ones with corrosive parts!

i have a breakaway tripod, and have had it for years, never had a problem with it, even though the top and rod holder parts are plastic, it seems to be made of strong stuff to not have broken in the several years i've had it, like the ian golds (i've used once or twice), i can't flaw it at all, and the bonus of it having hollow aluminium tubing means its light and floats,(which is handy when it accidentally gets knocked off the pier wall :oops: )

as mentioned its not the tools that are the problem, but the user, setting anything up in a wrong manner will always eventually come back to bite you on the behind.
that's my 2c

everyones a expert on here even steve had to put his 2c worth I THINK THIS POST IS WORSE THAN THE BOMBER RIG POST :lol: :lol: :lol:
i think we should have a section called STICK YOUR 2C IN HERE THREAD :lol: :lol:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:07 pm

saving private brian wrote:2 sandspikes on a beach are better than any tripod i think

I took up seafishing a few years back, and was advised by the guy in the tackleshop that I needed a sand spike for my newly aquired rod/reel - it was used all of 2 times before I got a tripod.

Needless to say it hasnt been used since :wink:

Brian if your that mad for sandspikes, your welcome to mine free of charge :mrgreen:

Forgot to mention..................is that a tripod in the background of your avatar :P

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:18 pm

ah i wouldnt do without the tripod but the sandspikes are handy too,,,i use one all the time for moving back and foward with the tripod on beaches that empty and fill quick,,,,,im just saying the sandspikes are handy are is if you want to try different sections of the beach and cover different areas it handy to move about than a tripod.ive often done it lets say leave the tripod where it is and walk 100 metres down to the left or right and put one rod in the spike and then im covering ground to find where the fish are,,,,,god im sorry for opening this topc it think

shamoo0804 wrote:
saving private brian wrote:2 sandspikes on a beach are better than any tripod i think

I took up seafishing a few years back, and was advised by the guy in the tackleshop that I needed a sand spike for my newly aquired rod/reel - it was used all of 2 times before I got a tripod.

Brian if your that mad for sandspikes, your welcome to mine free of charge :mrgreen:

Forgot to mention..................is that a tripod in the background of your avatar :P

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:33 pm

So you carry a big heavy tripod and sand spike! :D

Ohh man!!!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:46 pm

nope i carry a light tripod and a man made sandspike,,,all in the rodbag,,,not a bother

kstaff wrote:So you carry a big heavy tripod and sand spike! :D

Ohh man!!!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:07 pm

saving private brian wrote:nope i carry a light tripod and a man made sandspike,,,all in the rodbag,,,not a bother

but thats a salt tripod in your avatar and thats not light :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:10 pm

saving private brian wrote:well theres a good chance to test the tripod tonight with those strong southerlys :mrgreen: .anyone else fishing this lunatic moon eclipse :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was out in it, me and my Ian Golds tripod, neither of us fell over although I came close on several occasions. :D :D I cannot compare the golds to any other tripod as I have only used golds, the one I have now is about ten years old, the front legs are a bit bent the heads and butt holders are veals replacements, but it it lightweight and sturdy. I don't have any attachments for it I don't want them. I can see the benefits for match anglers for the trace bars and trays but as a pleasure angler, no need. It has gone over a few times but I try to site it down the wind if I can, I may put a big stone on the rear leg on a stoney beach.
Personal choice, I see no reason to change from something that has served me well.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:14 pm

shamoo0804 wrote:

I wouldn't give away the sand spike. Their great for using on surf strand instead of lugging around a tripod when resting a rod for a few minutes for baiting up.

As for using them as well as a tripod. FFS :? My original comment and more :lol: Talk about digging yourself a hole.

Donagh

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:29 pm

that picture is last years,,we have upgraded since then :mrgreen:

red wrote:
saving private brian wrote:nope i carry a light tripod and a man made sandspike,,,all in the rodbag,,,not a bother

but thats a salt tripod in your avatar and thats not light :lol: :lol: :lol: