Re: worst tripod for falling over

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:00 pm

thanks for that..so im not the only one to say they can topple easier than others,,,ah maybe conger the others dont be out in the same weather as we do be here on irelands storm battered coast :mrgreen:

Conger wrote:Just to throw in my two pence, i have been using the Daiwa rod stand for about 3 or 4 years, never have had an ounce of trouble with it, in cork last winter a friend that i brought fishing purchased one of the Ian Golds. The weather that we fished in was very windy, my rod stand stayed upright with no issues whereas Joes stand constantly fell over. I know people have mentioned about hanging buckets of sand but i have never had to do this with the daiwa, saying that Brian i know that you can get leg locking kits for the Golds and maybe these would make the difference on the stand..

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:15 pm

I remember fishing or hardcore surfcasting with Dodger one nite and his ian golds tripod didnt fall over but i did :oops: , I'm just about to order my ian golds one hope it comes with instructions

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:22 am

saving private brian wrote:im just asking peoples opinions donagh.i know exactly how to use a tripod trust me,,less of the language good man of the mods will lock it thanks.arent you the lad that went mental at people for not adding where they were fishing in their post headings........you seem to be a bit on the argumentative side...relax man its only a topic.now like a good man enjoy the forum like others please

brian

Donagh wrote:
saving private brian wrote:but i think its the ian golds

your opinions

My Opinion. Your talking bollox. Learn to use it.

1. You asked for opinions and I gave it. It's not fair to slag off one of the best tackle companies around with uninformed garbage. I stand by my use of language as I was not abusing you but your comments where you asked for an OPINION.

2. Please show me where I went mental. I've been on this forum for a hell of lot longer than you so please don't instruct me how to use it. If you have a problem with my posts report them.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:49 am

saving private brian wrote:im just asking peoples opinions donagh.i know exactly how to use a tripod trust me,,less of the language good man of the mods will lock it thanks.arent you the lad that went mental at people for not adding where they were fishing in their post headings........you seem to be a bit on the argumentative side...relax man its only a topic.now like a good man enjoy the forum like others please

brian

Donagh wrote:
saving private brian wrote:but i think its the ian golds

your opinions

My Opinion. Your talking bollox. Learn to use it.

You asked for opinions, and he gave you his............simple as that :lol:

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:58 pm

now now ladies relax its only a bit of debating, no need for the macho stuff, ive probably put tougher ragworms onto hooks than you 2. Just enjoy the debates thats what there there for :)

Just out of interest I would say that Ian Golds tripods are excellent and are the best around :)

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:15 pm

A little off topic sorry but ............ :? :? :?

no need for the macho stuff, ive probably put tougher ragworms onto hooks than you 2.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 pm

ok anyone who can not answer the topics question politely,please dont post thanks

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:32 pm

saving private brian wrote:ok anyone who can not answer the topics question politely,please dont post thanks

you see what you started? :D :D :D

i dont know what kind of tripod i have, i just know if i make sure the legs are spread out properly its pretty stable, too close and it will fall out with out fail. im sure the same rules apply for most tripods in less than windy conditions.

before i joined this forum i had never even heard of "Ian Golds", whoever he his is, and have not knowingly used any of their products so cant really comment.
i find it very surprising that some people are getting so defensive about a tackle company, you'd think you were talking about their ma.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:31 pm

[quote="shamoo0804"]Its like many things...............equipment is only as good as its user :!:[/quot

yep some tools out there :D

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:46 pm

I think this really comes down to peoples preferences. No i would not use an Ian golds stand but yes i think the rods in the range are smashing. I think Penn make great multis such as the 525 and the new 515 but am not a huge fan of the rods that they have in their range. I find at times its hard for one brand to cover everyones preferences and if someone does not like an item in the range, i would not take this as an attack on the brand itself :wink: :wink: Just ordered an International match, and can't wait to get my hands on it 8)

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:03 am

I have a couple of Ian Golds tripods, I find them fine once the legs are pushed well into the sand. If there is a strong wind I spread the tripod legs out wider and hang my bait bucket (which also contains as assortment of leads) from it - never have a problem with it blowing over then (although it will often blow over if I don't use the bait bucket to give it extra weight).

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:24 am

Do any other brands do telescopic tripods? I have the Ian Golds one and its excellent for rock marks. You can adjust it to fit in nicely to little cracks and holes in the rocks. Sturdy... until an unanticipated conger comes along and pulls everything down.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:31 am

i have the ian golds tripod,and,yes,it has fallen over,mainly due to my stupidity not digging it in during strong windy conditions, :oops: went and bought a hevier imax tripod and it has not fallen over yet,but its HEAVY!! so im back to the ian golds when i have a bit of a trek or when im feeling lazy! :oops: the downfall with the ian golds is trying to set your rods high in windy conditions,but as the lads said,bait bucket with a couple of weights in it,and its fine!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:41 am

fair enof the ian golds are light,,,ive nearly buried mine to australia one time and the winds still knocked it over and had it in the correct postion for high winds,,,,obviously weight is needed but have to say that never ever had this problem with the shakespeare tripod,,,sturdiest ive seen but sure you c ant beat the lightness for carrying

the good thing about iangolds is that they are so handy to get parts for and i seen the other day somewhere that you can get illuminous heads for the tripod,,,,,good idea or what :mrgreen:

RockHunter wrote:I have a couple of Ian Golds tripods, I find them fine once the legs are pushed well into the sand. If there is a strong wind I spread the tripod legs out wider and hang my bait bucket (which also contains as assortment of leads) from it - never have a problem with it blowing over then (although it will often blow over if I don't use the bait bucket to give it extra weight).

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Had my ian golds blow over the odd time, but not sufficiently enough to warrant me carrying a heavier tripod instead.

Must invest in the leglock kit, which I'm sure would help a small bit.

Many a nice bass or hound pulled it over though......but sure we dont mind that :mrgreen:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:35 pm

I have used different tripods and fish with people using different tripods at the same time and on a windy day they all will fall over at different stages. I bring a chair with me while fishing and it comes in a bag so i fill the bag with some stones and hang it off the tripod. As all beaches have stones its the simplist way and i'm not carring any extra weight with me. If its a pure sandy beach just put sand in instead. I think if you fish two rods there is more of a chance of the stand falling over anyway, espically if you have one fishing in surf. So all i would do is put the some extra weight on it and if it does fall over just tell yourself it was a big fish attacking the bait and you get him the next time. :D :D :D

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:06 pm

how much do leg lock kits cost

shamoo0804 wrote:Had my ian golds blow over the odd time, but not sufficiently enough to warrant me carrying a heavier tripod instead.

Must invest in the leglock kit, which I'm sure would help a small bit.

Many a nice Bass or hound pulled it over though......but sure we dont mind that :mrgreen:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:28 pm

saving private brian wrote:how much do leg lock kits cost

Give Paul Mason a buzz or send him a PM, he sells Ian Gold tripods, rods, tackle and accessories, he'll be happy to fill you in on all the details. Hope this helps.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:27 pm

he,s always talking bollox :lol:
infact he,s not happy unless he,s causing a row or slagging someones catch so like others i normally bite my lip but donagh,s right and if he knows whats good for him he wont pick a keyboard fight with a mad limerick man :lol: :lol: :lol:

and southaussie is a sound bloke while i,m at it :mrgreen:
Last edited by roger de dodger on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:41 pm

dont know how this topic hasw survived :mrgreen: