Tripod decission

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:44 am

Hi everyone I'm puzzled at the decission to buy a new tripod, I fish mainly beaches and have narrowed it down to either the Ian Golds or the Shakespere Salt one, Ive mixed reports of the Ian golds being a bit light and easily blown over and the Salt one with poor build quality and falling apart, I,m not overly concerned about the weight but would prefer one that packs to less than 5 feet, Suggestions welcome 8)

Re: Tripod decission

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:19 am

hi southaussie, being using the daiwa stand for 3 to 4 years and find it great, folds down neat and fits perfectly on my salt rod bag

Tripod decission

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Drop Gordy a pm. He's tried them all!

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:15 pm

have to admit being a user now of ian golds and shakespeare in the past i would definitely say the shakespeare one is a sturdier tripod

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:46 pm

MTI tripod folds down to 5ft :) Looks good quality and sturdy! Check it out yourself

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/online.cfm/fis ... /yes/52081

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Hard to beat the Shakespeare Salt Tripod. I have been using one for 5 years now and have had no trouble with it.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:25 pm

I have the mti tripod and an ian golds.The mti is super build quality and a tornado wouldent blow it over but it is a bit heavy i dont realy use it that much but i think il start the ian golds is just lighter i think thats why i always grab it for a session.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:34 pm

the golds one has a hook to hand a bag of sand / bucket under it making it very sturdy on a windy beach and alot lighter for transport :wink:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Ive the Ian golds tripod and fine it great its light enough to carry to any spot and it is sturdy enough for any conditions Ive fished in. the one i have is the bh1 super match i think its called. it has the trace holder, leg stabiliser and extendable legs so you get another 2 foot on the front legs to get up over the waves+it has a hook under it to hold a bucket. its worth a look.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:31 am

Hi Justin
I have both tripods, the Shakespeare Salt and Ian Golds Supermatch. The normal Supermatch has all of the extras that Dan mentioned with the exception of the extendable legs. It’s the 6ft Version, although you can get them in 5' and up to 7'.

You can get extra’s for them, like a single head that fits on the main leg of the Rest and a sliding leg cup to take the rod but. There are also and sliding leg heads that fit on the tripod legs which are very handy when you want the rod in a low position, plus lots of spares available - when needed :roll:

Both are good tripods but the main difference is the weight, I’d say there’s a kilo in the difference. The Salt has more adjustment in the legs and is a bit sturdier, the Golds are ideal for the beach.

All in all though, if I was to pick I’d say I would take the Golds… :wink:

Mick

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:04 am

thanks for the info guys looks like its the Ian Golds is the go always good to have backup and spare parts

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:49 pm

you can buy the salt one and be happy with it cos it is a good tripod but you will wish youd bought the golds one,
or,
just buy the golds one :lol: :lol:

ive got both and the only thing the golds doesnt do is extend the legs which is handy for rock marks, but at the same time the salt one is a good bit heavier for carrying to rock marks.
if you fish piers or places that are within 5 mins from the car get the salt, for beaches and longer walks get the golds.
food for thought :lol: :lol:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Go for Gold :D you wont be sorry.