New Multiplier

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a new multiplier for my tip tornado. I was thinking either the Daiwa SL20SH or Abu 6500Ct Blue Yonder.

Can anyone advise which is the better reel?

Thanks

Andy

Re: New Multiplier

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Depends what type of fishing you do?
SLOSH is for mixed/heavy ground and is a decent caster but not what you want for clean ground.
I have read reports that the Blue Yonders/New Blue Elites arent that good, quality seems to be lacking.

If you fish clean ground I would go for :
7HT Original
7HT Turbo
7HT Mag

Green 6500 Mag Elite Abu

Akios 656 reels are getting rave reviews also....

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi Eric

Thanks for the reply. I have the 7ht and 7ht turbo for clean ground. I'd be looking for a reel for rough ground, so do you think the SLOSH would be the best bet?

Thanks

Andy

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:38 pm

If you're unsure of what reel you need get a 525mag...covers all bases from clean beaches to kelp beds with the right line.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Penn Mag 525 without doubt.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:27 pm

kstaff wrote:Penn Mag 525 without doubt.

THE WORD OF GOD, AMEN.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:54 pm

gearoid mc s. wrote:

THE WORD OF GOD, AMEN.

the word of country folk more like , they double up as bailers for them in summer :lol:

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:17 pm

AG wrote:
gearoid mc s. wrote:

THE WORD OF GOD, AMEN.

the word of country folk more like , they double up as bailers for them in summer :lol:

I wear mine around my neck on a gold chain when I'm going out aswel...I be well blingin.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:19 pm

that will get you past the bouncers in docks , there all 525 men :D

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Ok

The Penn Mag 525 seems to be a popular choice

Cheers

Andy :D

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Just had a look at the reel on Gerry's of Morecambe webiste. £134.99 on sale is that a good price?

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:49 pm

adrwdarcy wrote:Just had a look at the reel on Gerry's of Morecambe webiste. £134.99 on sale is that a good price?

have a look on reel estate on www.efishsell.com 8)

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:51 pm

http://efishsell.com/product_info.php?products_id=650

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks AG - Great website!

I've one other question that is not reel related. I note that you're based in Wicklow. I was thinking of heading down to Wicklow again this weekend fishing (Sunday probably) Can you recommend a good area to fish. I was in Ennereilly last week with very poor results.

Ps I know this should should reallt be posted in Shore Angling Q/A :oops:

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:34 pm

A I would go For a slosh or a saltist. The slosh Is The Best multi purpose reel ever made . i have Saltist I thing brilliant but expensive . The Pen are good but The is Better . but It really personal choice

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:27 pm

adrwdarcy wrote:Thanks AG - Great website!

I've one other question that is not reel related. I note that you're based in Wicklow. I was thinking of heading down to Wicklow again this weekend fishing (Sunday probably) Can you recommend a good area to fish. I was in Ennereilly last week with very poor results.

south beach arklow worth a try

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:05 pm

AG wrote:
adrwdarcy wrote:Thanks AG - Great website!

south beach arklow worth a try

I have heard it all, Larry giving out fishing tips :P

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:56 pm

I;d go for Slosh 20. Perhaps even the Slosh 30 if you want to use heavier 30lb line.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:26 pm

I have 2 blue yonders, nothing wrong with the quality, they are tops, and excellent distance casting reels, but in no way are they rough ground reels, stick with the slosh. My mate uses a 525 mag and loves it and again excellent quality reel, but I still wouldn't use it for rough ground. I probably would go for the 535 or something similar to that size.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:07 pm

i use a abu 6500 high speed mag on my tt sport for clean ground and a 525 mag for mixed/rough but u will have trouble trying to beat the 525 for a good all rounder.