Fixed spools reels

Wed May 25, 2011 8:57 am

So in the next 2 weeks Im going out to get a new reel, I have 3 options well 6 but just different models.

Penn surfmaster
Shimano Navi
Grauvell Zenith 5000

as you cant tell Im not great with makes/models etc
But Ive been advised the shimano Navi but have no more info on any of them.

Re: Fixed spools reels

Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 am

Definitely not a surfmaster :shock: I'd go with the shimano myself although I've no experience of the grauvell, can't really go wrong with shimano!

Wed May 25, 2011 10:01 am

m8 some bad reports on the Surfmaster...once ya see 'hold' Shimano Navi there's no going back...great reel

Best Luck

Wed May 25, 2011 2:17 pm

I've had a surfmaster and I won't be buying another!!!! Don't know anything on the Grauvell. I got a shimano navi when they first came out and it's still going strong after plenty of abuse. There's also the Daiwa emcast evo's you may want to consider, which I prefer. They cast great, take plenty of abuse and spares are readily available and cheap(ish).

Wed May 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Gabbey11 wrote:So in the next 2 weeks Im going out to get a new reel, I have 3 options well 6 but just different models.

Penn surfmaster
Shimano Navi
Grauvell Zenith 5000

as you cant tell Im not great with makes/models etc
But Ive been advised the shimano Navi but have no more info on any of them.

I would definately go for the Navi out of that list, i'm using it at the moment and it's a great little reel.
I had the Surfmaster and it was a piece of crap and fell apart after little use and the Anti-reverse went on my Zenith after about 4/5 months whichI think is a common enough problem with these reels!

Wed May 25, 2011 5:57 pm

One word........ SHIMANO!

also worth keeping an eye on the likes of ebay, shimano aerlex 8000gt in my opinion is a great reel for decent money if you can still pick up a new one or second hand one in mint condition. served me well for year, no problems, and i aint serviced them either! 15 years i think i have them now, still going!

Thu May 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Well one of the guys with me actually uses the shimano and he wouldnt differ, just a little money to be saved then, maybe next month :( might hit ebay or something and see

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Last time, gonna buy a new reel on monday, have 2 choices navi 8000 or biomaster 8000 difference in price is minimal but I had my mind made up before my holiday and now im a little lost. any real difference or preferences, they both seem great but im not 100% and dont wana throw money at it.

Ps would check online myself but laptop im on is a little slow to say the least.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi Gabbey11,
I have both and also a Diawa Windcast. By far the best has to be the Biomaster 8000 XTB , the quality of this reel is excellent.

Got mine here , http://www.englandangling.co.uk/display ... BIO8000XSB

matched it with an Ian Golds Extractor .... fantastic setup.

Hope this helps.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Sorry that should have read Biomaster 8000 XSB. You can't go wrong with a Shimano !!

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:20 pm

Yea I mean theres a 15 pound difference between the biomaster and the navi, 109 for the biomaster plus a few bits and pieces, then 95 for the navi, local shop so ill take it of them.
Id rather throw the extra in knowing I got the better reel I plan on making it last a long time, and I look after my reels so 15 pound isnt much of a difference over a a few years.
Thanks
Gabbey

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Like you I look after my gear , my first Shimano bought in 1993 was shelfed only this year to make way for the Biomaster , that original Aerlex is still good today except for the drag which I damaged during a fall , I have caught thornback to 14.5 lb with it and hauled mack 6 at a time up cliffs 40ft and its stood the test of time , the Biomaster in my opinion has bettered this!