shockleaders

Sun May 15, 2011 11:17 am

Well here it goes, Ive ran out of shockleader I had been using either suffix superior (without any hickups) and a daiwa tapered shockleader ( with a few breaks :shock: :shock: ) on the tapered end. Can anyone recomend a reasonable priced shockleader that can also be used for rig body as well. 8)

shockleaders

Sun May 15, 2011 11:37 am

Sakuma 50-60lb. Cheap and does the job:)

Re: shockleaders

Sun May 15, 2011 12:20 pm

im using the leeda 50lb coloured mono justin.....its grand,,,,dont have any trouble with it...its cheap too

Sun May 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Ultima powerflex tapered and non tapered :wink:

Sun May 15, 2011 2:02 pm

did you tie your mainline straight onto the tapered shock,in future cut the thinner line off and attach it where it goes up to about 20-25 lb line thickness ,and also what knot did you use??

Sun May 15, 2011 5:23 pm

powerflex

shockleaders

Sun May 15, 2011 6:43 pm

keith wrote:Ultima powerflex tapered and non tapered :wink:

Good SL and great to get it in a big spool but I dint like it for rig body.

Mon May 16, 2011 9:11 am

"Sufix Superior" 50lb,works with 6oz perfec...

Mon May 16, 2011 9:37 am

roger de dodger wrote:did you tie your mainline straight onto the tapered shock,in future cut the thinner line off and attach it where it goes up to about 20-25 lb line thickness ,and also what knot did you use??

Does that not defeat the purpose of a "tapered" shockleader. I was led to believe the reason it is tapered was that you would have a smaller knot when you tied onto your main line?

Tommy

Mon May 16, 2011 9:52 am

20 to 25 lb thickness mono will still give you a small knot compared to 60 lb shockleader :lol:
anyway why bother with a shockleader when you can buy the whole lot joined on one spool :shock: sounds great till you get snagged and snapp off :lol:

Mon May 16, 2011 10:50 am

I,m thinking that was the problem Roger it seem to break off just after the knot on the leader side. I may try cutting off a few meters first, and dont know what the knot is called i make a loop in the leader and pass the main line thru, wrap it around a few times and loop it back thru, wet and tighten up :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon May 16, 2011 11:14 am

dfella25 wrote:

Just out of curiosity why don't you like it for rig bodies? Had considered using it for my rig bodies as the line I'd been using is nearly all gone.

Mon May 16, 2011 12:21 pm

southaussie wrote:I,m thinking that was the problem Roger it seem to break off just after the knot on the leader side. I may try cutting off a few meters first, and dont know what the knot is called i make a loop in the leader and pass the main line thru, wrap it around a few times and loop it back thru, wet and tighten up :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's called the albright knot and if you are getting crack offs (casting) this could be your problem. There is another knot called the slim beauty which is harder to tie but goes through the rings much easier...worth a try

Tommy

Mon May 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi lad maybe a bit of advice need for me... and many others I have two same reels but with diifferent leaders on both 55pl on one and 60 on the other but the difference between the diamanter of the line is so much that it wont or I cant catch it on to the line clip on my f/s..... I am not chuckin more than 5oz so would it be better to change down to both on 55ph shock

Cheers lads

Dave

Mon May 16, 2011 11:34 pm

sparkey+1 wrote:Hi lad maybe a bit of advice need for me... and many others I have two same reels but with diifferent leaders on both 55pl on one and 60 on the other but the difference between the diamanter of the line is so much that it wont or I cant catch it on to the line clip on my f/s..... I am not chuckin more than 5oz so would it be better to change down to both on 55ph shock

Cheers lads

Dave

Either that or use a rubber band around the spool and dont use the line clip at all.

Mon May 16, 2011 11:36 pm

dfella25 wrote:

I like it for clipped rigs it just needs a good stretch before you fix your snoods..

Tue May 17, 2011 9:49 am

southaussie wrote:I,m thinking that was the problem Roger it seem to break off just after the knot on the leader side. I may try cutting off a few meters first, and dont know what the knot is called i make a loop in the leader and pass the main line thru, wrap it around a few times and loop it back thru, wet and tighten up :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/ ... dknots.com
this is all you need! for a tapered leader
and this one for a tapered leader to braid
http://www.netknots.com/html/double_uni_knot.html
put ten turns in the braid and tighten it down nice and neat :wink: