Recommend me a reel

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:22 am

Hi i'm a bit of a newbie here although I have lurked the site from time to time.

Got a new rod on the way, Abu Garcia - Enticer Pro Bass. Basically wanted something to give me a bit of distance for fishing off the rocks but not too heavy. Anyone had any experience with this rod & have I made the right decision?

Now looking for a reel to match it. Again I want to get some distance when casting but nothing too heavy. Have my eye on the Okuma Distance Surf 60. Is this too big & does anyone have any suggestions. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Recommend me a reel

Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:16 am

I have the Okuma distance surf, about 3 months and find it grand. Not that heavy and can hold a fair bit of line. Not sure what its like hauling dogs or if it will stand up to heavy abuse but for a bass road and anything except doggie hauling it'd do just fine. I use mine on a long rod for scratching in close and for using 4oz and less.

There are probably better reels for the money but I can only comment on the Okuma.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:27 pm

anything around the 6000 range should be fine for you.i have the shimano arelex 8000.its a small bit heavy but a great reel

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks for the advise guys. Think I shall have a look about for similar reels. But I think I will just end up going for the Okuma. There is just something about the way it looks thats sucking me in. Got a feeling this is a serious flaw I have :lol: