How straight should a new 13'4" Beach-caster be?

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Just received a new rod this evening , a good rod at £200 ,however I noticed when I put it together and looked along it (holding it a the butt) that the last 3-4 feet of the tip seem to taper/bend to the left... not much but 6 - 8mm of a misalignment. Is this any reason for concern ? will this effect the performance of the rod? It has a 22mm butt but so is quite a narrow rod to start.
Anyone with similar experience's opinion would be appreciated.

Re: How straight should a new 13'4" Beach-caster be?

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:32 pm

I have heard/read somewhere that rods left against a wall or in bags that are tied too tight that leave the tip bent slightly can stay that shape in excessive heat...
Not sure how much of a difference it would make to the action etc.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:19 pm

ah a good 30+ tope on the end wont be long straighting it up again :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:02 pm

EricH wrote:I have heard/read somewhere that rods left against a wall or in bags that are tied too tight that leave the tip bent slightly can stay that shape in excessive heat...
Not sure how much of a difference it would make to the action etc.

Thanks EricH, I know I'm a bit of a perfectionist ... a curse it is! It's just that I'll either try this out on Sunday for it's first trip or send it back for replacement. Just haven't seen this before.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:26 pm

have had it happen to a fly rod, tied the bag too tight after a late fishing session and the tip has now a slight bend it it but in the 15 year since it has happened the fly rod is still great to use

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:37 pm

MC wrote:have had it happen to a fly rod, tied the bag too tight after a late fishing session and the tip has now a slight bend it it but in the 15 year since it has happened the fly rod is still great to use

I presume it depends on the material used .. This is my second Ian Golds , don't know the exact spec of carbon used , but I suspect it may be different to that of a fly rod despite both being quite slim .. as long as performance/reliability of the rod is not affected I'll be happy ... :)

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:59 pm

Bass 3rd wrote:
MC wrote:have had it happen to a fly rod, tied the bag too tight after a late fishing session and the tip has now a slight bend it it but in the 15 year since it has happened the fly rod is still great to use

I presume it depends on the material used .. This is my second Ian Golds , don't know the exact spec of carbon used , but I suspect it may be different to that of a fly rod despite both being quite slim .. as long as performance/reliability of the rod is not affected I'll be happy ... :)

not that it matters but it was a 10ft carbon diawa fly rod. It didnt effect the performance or reliability a bit was just trying to highlight that and maybe give you peace of mind, but if your unhappy with the deffect send the rod back

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:07 pm

No panic,,just lie it up againts the wall in the opp dieection to the current bend and it will go back to normal, it used to be an issue with the old Daiwa AWT, WKT. Never heard of it affecting the rods proformance...

Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Thanks for the advice lads ... probably fretting about nothing :) .. will try it out on Sunday.