Shimano Big Baitrunner Long cast reel

Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:21 am

Has anyone tried and tested the Shimano big baitrunner LC Reels.
They are discribed as suitable for Sea Angling even conger fishing?

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:48 am

i never used them in the sea myself, but the lads on the continent use them on rivers to catch 100lb plus catfish, so i can't see why not!

Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:31 am

Kissafish,

I have one, only used once, they are a big big reel will pull a train in, I dont like to use a fixed spool, make me an offer, its for sale. Not a mark on it, still in the box.

Tom.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:10 pm

Rockhopper wrote:Kissafish,

I have one, only used once, they are a big big reel will pull a train in, I dont like to use a fixed spool, make me an offer, its for sale. Not a mark on it, still in the box.

Tom.
I actually bought one of the reels, And i was not disappointed. a massive capacity spool that can hold 600 mtrs of 0.30mm Line or 550 mtrs of 0.35mm line and a 4.6:1 ratio.
And your right - It probably could pull a train in.
The built in baitrunner is handy, It would stop your rod being pull off the stand. I have my reel filled with 50lb braid.
If you have a extra spool, i would be interested?
But i have enough reels to do me for a lifetime, So I'm not really that interested in your reel, Unless you are selling it Cheap :roll: :D :?:

Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:51 pm

I thought the lack of a spare spool was very shitty for a reel costing as much, I think the spare spools are about £30 or even £40sterling, that pisses me off.

The new Ian Golds fixed spool comes with 2 spare spools, aluminum ones at that, not the cheap plastic give-aways.

I like the whole Baitrunner range, I have 2 smaller ones too, your right, the easy of use with the rear on/off lever is very good, especially if you have fast running fish, sadly there are few of those over here :cry:

Tom.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:50 pm

Rockhopper

I have to agree about the lack of a spare spool with the reel, and i don't understand why they haven't used the same type of spool as they do for the ultegra 14000, Maybe its to make the spool lighter or something :?
I also own a shimano Ultegra XT 14000 + 12000. And the 14000 spool is exactly the same as the long cast except for the graphite (plastic) disc at the top of the spool. But i don't think it would affect the strength of the spool itself because the main business part of the spool is Aluminium.
I am using a spool from my 14000 on the reel with lighter 15lb line for beach fishing and the braided one for rough ground, Haven't caught a conger yet only a few doggies.
wickfordangling.co.uk are doing the spare spools for around £27.00
And the reels for £128.00 (rrp £221.99) But you have to haggle for postage prices.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:31 pm

For sea fishing the 6500 baitrunner has more guts, my brother loves his LC baitrunners for carp fishing but having used them at sea a couple of times he says they ain't up to it long term.

I was thinking of getting the 10000 baitrunner for uptiding and asked his opinion and he suggested the baitrunner b 6500.

His introduction to them was on a boat he chartered in Florida, when he told the fella he went carp fishing back in England the bloke took the mulipliers off the rods and replaced them with baitrunners. he thought the bloke was taking the mickey until he saw the line one was loaded with 80lb braid and the other with 130lb braid.

Several 300-400lb jewfish later and after a few snap offs purely from trying to stop the fish from diving he realized quite what the baitrunners could do, and in America they sell them as saltwater spinning reels because they can take the environment a lot better then the others in the range.

I ordered mine from Leslie's as they are the cheapest I have seen at £90.99 spare spools are £20.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:25 pm

zeitmeister wrote:For sea fishing the 6500 baitrunner has more guts, my brother loves his LC baitrunners for carp fishing but having used them at sea a couple of times he says they ain't up to it long term.

I was thinking of getting the 10000 baitrunner for uptiding and asked his opinion and he suggested the baitrunner b 6500.

His introduction to them was on a boat he chartered in Florida, when he told the fella he went carp fishing back in England the bloke took the mulipliers off the rods and replaced them with baitrunners. he thought the bloke was taking the mickey until he saw the line one was loaded with 80lb braid and the other with 130lb braid.

Several 300-400lb jewfish later and after a few snap offs purely from trying to stop the fish from diving he realized quite what the baitrunners could do, and in America they sell them as saltwater spinning reels because they can take the environment a lot better then the others in the range.

I ordered mine from Leslie's as they are the cheapest I have seen at £90.99 spare spools are £20.
What reels are you talking about. Are they Shimano :?: Your advice is received with a grateful smile :D (More info Please) :!: :? :D

Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:36 pm

Yep. shimano 6500 baitrunner b

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/catalog/fish ... 8341469861

I think it was the first baitrunner shimano made and the newer ones are "inprovments" on it and as a miserable sceptic to me "new improved" normally just means cheaper and nastier, and obviously enough others share that veiw for them to keep it in production.

Word search the reel on google and you will be amazed at some of the fishing people use these things for.

Th only thing that I can see against it is the lower line capacity compared to the LC. The only critisism I have heard from someone was that it didn't cast as well as the LC because of the deep spool (no he hadn't tried it)
To me the spool looks about the same as the XTE 10000 and they cast perfectly alright.

Unfortunatly I can't comment from personal experience yet as mine still hasn't turned up and when it does it won't get much use before I sod off to Kerry........I live in Devon and by the time the pair trawlers, various other trawlers and and and gill netters have finished there's not a lot big enough left round here to test your tackle very much so at the moment I am just stocking up on toys befor we move :roll:

Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:55 pm

I have the 6500B. It doesn't cast unbelievably well and the line lay is not perfect. It is also heavy to fish with. However it is very very powerful and smooth to fish with. I find it great teamed with a light powerful beachcaster for "deep spun" pollack fishing and general wrasse fishing. If you dont like a multiplier and need plenty of grunt then this is the one.

Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:27 am

Zeitmeister,

In one post your telling people you've only started fishing a while back and then you go on to talk like an expert about the Baitrunner Reels, then you go on to say you havent even tried the reel.

Whats your game? your not sniffin glue by any chance :lol:

Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:28 am

I used to carp fish when I was in London a few years ago so I am well used to bait runners........just not that model.

What I meant was I hadn't SEA fished until I came down to Devon.

The recommendation on the 6500 came from someone who has been fishing all disciplines for more than 30 years so He knows what he is talking about and I trust his judgment enough to have bought one.

I don't care if people want to challenge my opinions and you were right I did say I haven't fished before.........fair enough my mistake..........but please if you are going to snipe have the guts to sign in rather then going on as a guest to hide behind ananimaty.

I like people with opinions, but I don't like cowards.

Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:36 am

Then again he could just be an idiot like me who is so busy getting on his high horse he forgets to log in first :oops: :lol:

Hmmm...

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:52 am

For sea fishing the 6500 baitrunner has more guts, my brother loves his LC baitrunners for carp fishing but having used them at sea a couple of times he says they ain't up to it long term.

Could someone explain this bit too me...

Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:08 pm

In norway we are several people who are using the LC Baitrunner for our saltwater fishing. I havent heard any complaints about them yet, and I am very happy with them. In norway fishing with baitrunner is much more usual than in UK, and the LC reel is one of the most popular for surf with fixed spool. I can highly recomend this reel, also for saltwater fishing... :D

BTW: great forum, I have learned alot from this already :wink:

big blues

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:40 am

shimano do a baitrunner nicknamed the big blue ! they are a marinised version of the big baitrunners ....the ones with the square back , desighed for the us market and costing an absolute packet .
I have never fished with them but i was offered a set of three new ones by one of the carp anglers i know , he wanted £100 each .........bit expensive i thought but they did look and feel indestructable .

bs