Filleting Knife

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Re: Filleting Knife

Postby Jayball10 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:02 pm

Lads got the Marttiini Standard 7 inch. Excellent blade. Hopefully a nice plump codling to test it on tomorrow fingers crossed. Thanks for all the responses.
The way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly...
Jayball10
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 120 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Eoin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:03 pm

good choice. remember, dont cut bait with it and dont cut line with it.

Jayball10 wrote:Lads got the Marttiini Standard 7 inch. Excellent blade. Hopefully a nice plump codling to test it on tomorrow fingers crossed. Thanks for all the responses.
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby Brenfitz1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi Lads,
As a professional butcher with over 20yrs behind me I`ve tried them ALL, and for filleting fish the best knife is the victoriknox 6inch or 5inch flexi curved, for everything else a 5inch curved.
All available from Brodericks in Cloverhill Ind. Est. or McDonnells of Queen St.
As regards sharpening I use an india oil stone coarse side to grind your edge and smooth side (orange part) to fine hone the edge and a quality steel used properly (ask yor local butcher to show you) out and about to keep the edge right.
Somebody mentioned Berkley knives PURE RUBBISH one or two fish filleted, edge gone couldn`t even bring it up with the steel just as well I won it in a raffle.

Tips on sharpening available.

P.S Use a Steel Glove or a good Filleting glove(anti slice, anti stab) those knives are razor sharp.
Species for 2011:
Brenfitz1
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby JimC » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:27 pm

My Marttiini knife broke last week. It just snapped at the hilt...I couldn't believe it as I am quite careful with it. On the off chance I emailed Marttiini. The sent back thier apologies and sent me out a new knife. They pointed out that they have a 3 year warranty.
What can you say - quality knife & quality company :wink:
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Tanglerat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:51 pm

Does the warranty cover being dropped overboard? :(

I had to replace my Marttiini last summer, it went for a swim. Wouldn't buy anything other than another Marttiini.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby shamoo0804 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Brenfitz1 wrote:Hi Lads,
As a professional butcher with over 20yrs behind me I`ve tried them ALL, and for filleting fish the best knife is the victoriknox 6inch or 5inch flexi curved, for everything else a 5inch curved.
All available from Brodericks in Cloverhill Ind. Est. or McDonnells of Queen St.
As regards sharpening I use an india oil stone coarse side to grind your edge and smooth side (orange part) to fine hone the edge and a quality steel used properly (ask yor local butcher to show you) out and about to keep the edge right.
Somebody mentioned Berkley knives PURE RUBBISH one or two fish filleted, edge gone couldn`t even bring it up with the steel just as well I won it in a raffle.

Tips on sharpening available.

P.S Use a Steel Glove or a good Filleting glove(anti slice, anti stab) those knives are razor sharp.

Had a look at the broderick bros site, but couldnt see the flexi curved knife, have you a link to it? Or is it not in their catalogue?

I have some kitchen knives that need a good sharpening, bought a steel but it doesnt bring them up too well - could be the quality of the steel, or how I'm using it - any tips?

Also, is this the type of stone you would recommend for sharpening?

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/sh ... %22-x-1%22
shamoo0804
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby Eoin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:23 am

here are the knives i use now. the woodpecker i got in a cor boot sale for €1 - cant go wrong, no sheath and kept its edge for ages but hard to sharpen.

the Gerber - this is the knife i bring on a boat. its tough and not too long, cant recommend these enough and they are made in Europe (Portugal). dosnt have the flex of some but this is better to cut bait.

the martinni's - no need to rave about these - brilliant. the green handled one is better for saltwater and the sheath is self draining. handle is very good non slip. got this from dan in half way tackle in cork. be careful of water penetrating the tang where the blade meets the handle on the cutting side as there is a little gap. this is my third one as this is how the second one ended (first one overboard).

the last one is a french one. an expensive one that you might see in a filleting factory. originally from Thomas Reed Cutlers of Dame Street Dublin now long gone.

all have their good and bad points.
Attachments
re3.jpg
bargoin l'eclume
re3.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 190 times
re2.jpg
shaken not stirred
re2.jpg (28.32 KiB) Viewed 190 times
re1.jpg
woodpecker and gerber
re1.jpg (22.25 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Eoin