Filleting Knife

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Lads looking for a good quality, durable, sharp filleting knife. Any suggestions? Was chopping up some Cod yesterday with a crappy Lidl yoke but would of been easier trying to use a spoon!

Any good shops in Dublin city centre that do them? Im sure ye'd get them in the tackle shops but lookin for a good professional one with a case. Also any suggestions on sharpeners also would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Re: Filleting Knife

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:55 pm

i have one of those crappy lidl knives i keep it sharpened and it works well

http://home-solutions.hsn.com/ez-magic- ... 10_xp.aspx

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:27 pm

I use a cheap tsunami filleting knife. About 9 quid i think. Sharpen it a few times and when it's gone beyond it just buy another one. Won't break the bank at the price and a new sharp knife saves alot of wasted bait and time and messed up fillets.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm

I think the sharpening regularly is the point.
I have a few Surecatch knives and they are great, reasonable price/good quality. If you want to push the boat out a Marttinni knife are the dogs.
Surecatch do a nice ceramic sharpener as well, great for topping up the edge while fishing. A decent sharpening stone or steel is important but you need to know how ( http://www.filleting-fish.com/tools )I use the stone in the shed and the sharpener/steel on the boat. I know Henrys do the Surecatch knives so he may also have the sharpener - I think they are about €3-4.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks lads. Will look into all ideas although I think the Lidl knife is goin to the great cutlery drawer in the sky!

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:58 am

got a grauvell one for 10 yo yos down in courtown angling good quality at a bargain price :wink:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:32 pm

i use martinni. i keep it in the kitchen. brillent knife. dont use them for cutting bait or line. wonder if they are still being made?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:15 pm

i have the mustad 1 i got for 10 euro.great knife

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Eoin wrote:i use martinni. i keep it in the kitchen. brillent knife. dont use them for cutting bait or line. wonder if they are still being made?

have one of these aswel...in general any norweigen brand is a safe bet. there are a few on the market. be ready to hand over 40e mind.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:30 pm

gearoid mc s. wrote:
Eoin wrote:i use martinni. i keep it in the kitchen. brillent knife. dont use them for cutting bait or line. wonder if they are still being made?

have one of these aswel...in general any norweigen brand is a safe bet. there are a few on the market. be ready to hand over 40e mind.

had one untill last week it snapped got mine in their shop in helsinki....12 euros in the bargain bucket 8)

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Cheers lads. Im gonna head into town on Saturday see what I can find... Those Marttinni ones look the business though!

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:49 pm

seanie35 wrote:
gearoid mc s. wrote:

had one untill last week it snapped got mine in their shop in helsinki....12 euros in the bargain bucket 8)

Oops finland is what I should have said,close enough!
If you want to be real flash get a victorinox filleting knife. (The original swiss army knife brand)

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:00 pm

The 4'' Marttiini filleting knives are great,the steel used in the blade is of a very high quality so they are easy to sharpen and keep the edge for a long time ,That is if you Don't use a flat stone as a cutting board like I see some guys doing :roll:
I use mine for everything from cutting up bait ,filleting fish,skinning rabbits,to breasting out ducks ,pheasants & pigeons and it has never let me down.
The Berkley filleting knives also comes with a marttiini blade in them.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:44 pm

fishfinder wrote:The 4'' Marttiini filleting knives are great,the steel used in the blade is of a very high quality so they are easy to sharpen and keep the edge for a long time ,That is if you Don't use a flat stone as a cutting board like I see some guys doing :roll:
I use mine for everything from cutting up bait ,filleting fish,skinning rabbits,to breasting out ducks ,pheasants & pigeons and it has never let me down.
The Berkley filleting knives also comes with a marttiini blade in them.

Any idea where to get one? Dublin, Wicklow or Wexford?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:16 pm

Looks like Henry's stocks some: http://www.henrystackleshop.com/product ... cmecgbxzjy

You can buy online here: http://www.marttiini.fi/in_English/Mart ... ishing.iw3

Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks a mill Jim. I was planning on heading into Henrys on Saturday to get some bits and bobs. Ill pick one up then.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:49 pm

i have 3 victorinox filleting knives would never part with them,i used to have 4 but lost one off the stern last year i was sick :evil: they are seriously leathal if you know how to use a steel :wink:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:51 pm

personally love muela knives find them excellent, can be hard to come by though,

Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:26 pm

think it was southside angling in england did them years ago, but worth keeping an ear to the ground locally.... reground ex meat market knives, if its just for bait etc they are the dogs do da's!
myself and father bought 20 about 15 years ago, and we are still using them! they were cheap as chips too.

when they get blunt we just put them in a bucket, lift another one! then they go en mass to the local knife doctor to be brought back to life!

most have bright coloured handles too so you dont misplace them on the beach

Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Best filleting knives I ever owned, got them from these guys here: http://www.fileermessen.nl/index.php?op ... &Itemid=54
Serious stuff, tough as nails and saltwaterproof, they come with a box of free wound dressing 'first cut is the deepest' :wink:
Have 2 knifes now since 5 years, can't fault them, used them even for butchering venison, the videos about fish filleting are worth a watch too 8)