ABU Premium Bass ( rod )

Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:18 am

Hi ,
I wanted a rod which would give me an extra bit of distance when spinning with fixed spool , 12 lb mono and small/light lures/plugs . I ended up with an ABU Premium Bass rod . This came highly recommended but I just can't get on with it - balance feels wrong and distance is rubbish . Even more so than usual !
The F/S is only medium sized . I suspect you'd need multiplier , which I don't have , and/or drilled bullets / heavier lures , which defeat the objective of fishing shallow in gullies etc .
Clutching at straws here but any thoughts ?
Failing that , any offers ?!!!
cheers
nick

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:52 am

Hi Nick,

I seem to remember you asking about this a while back, when you say small/light lures how light are you talking about? The rod you got seems to be suitable for lures greater than 1oz which is quite heavy compared to some spinners. I have a Daiwa whisker spin (9ft) which is rated for about 10 to 60g but I find I start loosing distance once I go over about 30g but it is great for the lighter stuff. I recently bought another 10ft rod for heavier lures and I'm finding it much better for anything greater than an ounce.