carp rod for spinning

Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:30 am

i have asked a question like this before but need to know would a carp rod 2lb test work as a spin ron.

I have been told by tackle shops and seen in mags it being used but has anyone out there tried it yet and what it hold up like

CARP RODS FOR SPINNING

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:54 pm

POOKIE
A CARP ROD WITH A 2LB TEST WILL BE IDEAL FOR SPINNERS FROM 28 GRAMS UP TO 60 GRAM.DONT BE SCARED TO USE IT FOR FEATHERS AS WELL .GIVEN THAT TEST CURVE IT SHOULD CHUCK A 2 OUNCE BOMB NO PROBS

carp rod for spinning

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:16 pm

sorry about caps use again.i never shout really

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:09 pm

.......... no I don't shout either, it just does not work.

I use a 2.5 lb test curve carp rod for plugging and shadding! It casts a shad nicely and the rod really is a pleasure to use. Having said that, should I ever hook a double figure bass, I would worry about the rod's structural integrity.
The rod is light and easy to use. It is a Shimano Hyperloop 12 foot.

Peter.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:50 pm

Why should a rod designed to land 30lb+ carp be unable to land a double figure bass?

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:05 pm

Well -- by the rate the rod bends when I have a 6 lb pollack on the end - I would be concerned about a fish some 60% heavier than this.

Where I fish for bass is a rough ground location. I therefore have to keep the fish steady above the snags, this would be difficult with a heavy fish. Whilst my rod might gently lead an over-fished lazy carp over a slimy muddy bottom it is a different kettle of fish playing a sharp witted lively bass over a rocky bottom with many rough edges. Therein lays the sting Viper.
Is my rod really designed for 30 lb carp?

Peter

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:27 am

Peter
" over-fished lazy carp"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never met one! Any carp i've caught, fight like the blazes. Never caught one that size though.
Have caught salmon up to 18 lb on my 2 lb test curve SKP carp rod. With the reel clutch set properly i had no problems at all. A through action rod looks soft, but has plenty of backbone.

Bill.