Abu 6500C3-CT Mag - ROD ?????

Wed May 11, 2005 11:15 am

having just got my shiny Ambassadeur 6500C3-CT
Mag in the post from veals, now it's my first Multiplier
so I've asked them for an all-rounder of a beachcaster
to go with it, they've suggested the below?

Ron Thompson 12’ 3pce Carbostick £79

Penn 12’ 3 pce Seatrek £85

Shimano Nexave 1325 13’ 2pce £85

Penn Powerstix 12’6’’ 2pce £75

Is there a quicksetup for that reel - I hate
instructions - no patience for them :evil:

I'd appreciate any guidance you can give '
:roll: o learned ones' :shock:

CT Mag

Wed May 11, 2005 12:30 pm

If it's anything like my Sportsmag it will have come with the brake blocks in the bag with the spanner and oil. You have to fit them yourself. Nobody told me :oops: If you, or anyone else wants it I have an illustrated service sequence for the 6500 CS mag. Only difference between that and the CT is the level wind and a clicker. Mag positions and all other bits are the same.

Re: CT Mag

Wed May 11, 2005 12:47 pm

gowerray wrote:If it's anything like my Sportsmag it will have come with the brake blocks in the bag with the spanner and oil. You have to fit them yourself.

No brake blocks, but there is a bag with oil and a little spanner?

CT C3

Wed May 11, 2005 7:20 pm

The brake 'blocks' are not normally fitted from what I can gather. The 'blocks' are in fact tiny little cork coloured fibre tubes. Bit like baby mice crap. I think I had about four or five in the bag and two were broken. Perhaps Veals put them on for you? Part No 22565 on your diagram. Link to the Abu site PDF:
http://www.abu-garcia.com//schematics/b ... g/0900.pdf
Hope it all goes well. I can honestly say I'm well pleased with the SportsMag. Few el cheapo plastic bits in it but does the job well with not too many hiccups for a crap caster like myself.

Re: CT C3

Thu May 12, 2005 10:22 am

thanks for mentioning that, I think I'll just send my friends at
Veals a little email just to check.

What rod do you match your 6500CT C3 with? And can you tell
me why it is reccommended for clean ground?

thanks

Thu May 12, 2005 10:29 pm

i actually use a daiwa sandstorm and a shakespeare k2 which both should retail under the £100 mark. if you look in the right place maybe sandstorm just over. i have a ct mag and a mag elite and i think both rods are great and exceptional value. great all rounders which you can use from lite to tough enough work although sandstorm would probably take harder ground. i fish such a varied type of ground and i love them both. they are 13 foot each

Thu May 12, 2005 11:30 pm

gowerray- oh i'm forever in your debt, I would have never seen those little mice craps !! Thank god I never opened that bag, what ever happened to a little warning sticker !!! :x

Mag

Fri May 13, 2005 9:50 am

Nuther tip: If you ever decide to open the reel up, do it in a shoebox or a large, clear plastic bag. I still haven't found a spring from a Shakespeare reel that shot out a year ago :? A regular one I've heard is 'Where does this little, bent metal piece from the Mag assembly go?' I'll tell you when you get there :lol: BTW my Sportsmag's paired with an Abu Suveran SX. No compaints other than I don't really have the skill to get it performing to it's best. I blame the old age and ever decreasing grey cells.
Have fun. Any probs? If I can help I will. Take care

Fri May 13, 2005 11:21 pm

i use a shoebox myself! i thought i was the only one?!

Sun May 15, 2005 9:43 am

I use Henrys tackle. I have no brain cells.

Colin

6500c3-ct

Fri May 20, 2005 4:11 pm

http://www.adventuretackle.com/reel%20t ... erhead.htm

Was reading the above link as I'm still getting to grips with
my Ambassadeur 6500C3-CT Mag before I actually use it.
I must admit with all I've read it's becoming a little daunting.
Maybe I'm reading to much?? but it sounds like hard work
and birds nests :shock: ??

Now I have 3 questions:

1. What does Level Wind mean?
2. Should you use the lumping exercise to
load line on the real? (mentioned in the above link)
3. How is the line distributed evenly on the
spool when winding in seeing as there is no
'thingy' to spread it around?

thanks, can I ever use this thing?

Re: 6500c3-ct

Fri May 20, 2005 4:13 pm

wow I'm an SAI regular !! :D

ABU CT

Fri May 20, 2005 6:19 pm

Getting deeper than you need to. Don't worry.
1: Level Wind? The CS version has one, the CT doesn't. Basically a little mobile gateway that travels across the front of the reel when you wind in and lays the line 'level' across the spool. CT's are better for distance casting as the level wind adds friction and gets in the way.
2: Lumping? Some do, some don't. It's all to do with balancing the spool so that it reels off smoothly. Smoothly being no vibration or floppy juddering movement of the spool when flat out.
I've done it on the Penn Supermag but only because, even with my deafness, I could hear it groaning when I cast. Don't worry unduly about it. Read an expert view here on tuning. : http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/reel_tuning.html Neil knows a hell of a lot more than me (pass me the back of that postage stamp) and explains it better than I can or what is written in your link.
3: How do you keep it level when you're winding on? Cotton reeling! That is you move the line across the spool with your thumb as you wind in so that the line lays evenly. God-given, digital 'Level winder', your thumb.
When you start to put line on the reel, whether you're going to lump it or cotton reel it, keep the line fairly tight between your thumb and finger as it feeds on. A slack line will haunt you on every cast otherwise. Biggest difference when casting a multiplier to a FS is stopping it. With a FS you will have got into the habit of flicking the bail arm over when the lead has settled on the sea-bed. With a multiplier you have to stop the spool with your thumb as soon as it hits the water. Bird nest otherwise cos it'll keep running faster than the lead is sinking. Problems I had when using two rods, one with my trusty FS and the other with a multiplier :oops:

Fri May 20, 2005 10:41 pm

gowerray - thanks for the info you've been very helpful and I really appreciate it. I'd be up the creek without the info you've given, as usual it sounds like there really is no excuse for hands on practice. I've also ordered the pen sidwinder so as soon as i get it i'm practicing !