mag525 or mag elite??

Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:28 am

ok i've been wrestling with my conscience over posting this question, because i'm aware that i could start all sorts of debates and arguements. but i want to buy a second multiplier. i already have the mag 525, and it's a great reel, and i was on the verge of just buying a second one without question, but with neilus's recent problems, and just the fact, the mag elite is also a suberb reel, i really can't decide, and i'm looking for some guidance. so what do ye recommend? i fish a wide variety of venues, and i know that the 525 is probably a better reel for the rough stuff, but i'd love to see what the mag elite is like......suggestions please? and i'm sorry for any arguements that may follow due to this question!

Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:35 am

Hey Frodo.

I've got the 525 Mag and a 6500 Sports Mag. The Sports is very similar in mechanism to the Mag Elite and does cast well with probably better mag control. That being said, I guess the SuperMag would be just as good. In honesty, I wish I'd bought the SuperMag instead of the Sports Mag. The 525 is quite a robust reel - with the exception of Neilus's dramas!

You really notice the difference in retrieve with the Sports Mag as it seems to take an age to bring it back in! I've now ordered a new gear set to take it from 5.3:1 to 6.3:1 retrieve - maybe I'll be more happy then.

Ian

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:39 pm

I use the sports mag and find it great over clean ground, however from all that I have read over the last months I feel I should have bought the 525. I am also toying with the idea of a new reel but am waiting to see how neilus gets on. How about the Diawa SL20SH ??

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:56 pm

The SL20SH is a nice reel for rough ground, but is slower over distance than the 525. I have the SL20SH and the SL30SH and now run both with the small clear blocks and red rocket fuel. The 525 is still a more controllable reel though. If you are casting big baits into a head wind, you do have the benefit of the mags to calm it down a bit.

One good thing about the SL20SH is it getting cheaper - £65 brand new now, so is a good reel to start off with multipliers.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:57 pm

just that bit too big, and most of my fishing is mixed clean ground, with occasional rough ground, the slosh might be a bit of an overkill. i'll try my best to sit it out and see how neilus gets on......in reality the 525 is perfect for me, but as always fair away fields are greener!

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:51 pm

I have been using a 7ht and a 6500ct rocket for many years now and have had no problems whatsoever.The 7ht hasn't even had the bearings cleaned and oiled for about three years now(I'm a lazy b*****d).
Would like to move to a mag and will probably go for an abu,but i wish they would mag the 7ht.WOW ,that would be the dogs b******s.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:10 am

Iv'e several multipliers that I use in different situations, rather than have one or two and try to use them for everything.

2x Sl20SH loaded with 20lb used for rough ground.

2x6500 ELITES (Blue) excellent reels, loaded with 15lb, used for clean ground where as fast retrieve is not nessecery.

252 Mags for mixed ground, loaded with 15lb, where a faster retrieve is needed to get the end rig moving to clear the snags. (I prefer the 6500 elites by the way)

7 HT/Abu 5500 for scratching, flounder etc, loaded with 10-12lb mono and 30lb braid.

All the above are tunned up differently, to suit thier uses.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:27 am

Thanks Wayne. You've made me feel better about the number of reels I've got - you have more than me!

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:28 am

i wish i was rich....

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:50 am

That's the problem. Once you've bought the reels, you're not rich any more!!

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:00 am

well i'm not rich full stop! and i definitely won't be rich once i order the new rod and reel.....i have to learn to budget.........thanks for all ye're advice lads, i think i'll go with the mag elite, mainly because harris angling are giving me a good deal on it......and sure if i don't like it i'll be trying to pawn it off to one of ye guys in the coming months! cheers

Patrick

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:03 pm

Go with the mag elite...............................

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:12 pm

For the extra few quid go for the sports mag. I will probably go for a faster retrieve reel.

Good luck.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:39 pm

The reason for all the reels is, match fishing, you always need back up's, for crackoff's, line damage etc.

Don't forget there's Christmas :lol: , Birthday's :lol: , etc, so start droping hints guys. :wink: :wink:

Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:30 am

i just double checked there, the sports mag is the same price as the mag elite with harris angling,so i might go with that instead......my birthday isn't until november, so i've got avery long wait indeed!!

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:00 am

Patrick,

A new Sports Mag is £80 + p&p from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Fly-by-Nig ... eZl2QQtZkm so I don't know if that makes any difference to your requirement. I know you have trouble accessing e-bay though! Damn these IT departments!!

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:59 pm

You might do a bit better at [url]http://www.jacksonlures.com[/url]. Mine came in at EUR115 incl. p&p, or rather it would have if I decided not to pay by Western Union :x . They take credit cards so use that instead, it's much cheaper! The reel may not be listed but send mail and they will return with a price.

525 vs mag elite

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:22 pm

hi all,

i too own a serious amount of reels 12 abu 6500's (i am a huge fan) and 4 penn 525's and variuos fixed spools and like wayne each has various applications. i would strongly suggest frodo should search out a second-hand elite or mag elite as they can be got relatively cheaply in very good nick

i also have a pretty serious dislike of the break mechanism on the sportsmag due to the ease at which it gets clogged up with sand particularly on dry windy days, anyone else experienced this?

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:11 pm

wayne...is the 55 you hav CT...hav u seen any 55 ctmags in any shops over ur way..

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:14 pm

My 55 is a 5500c3 with level wind, I have not noticed any 5500ctmags sorry.