fishing sale

Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:40 am

does anyone know what the story with the fishing sale is this weekend in the southcourt in Limerick. i saw it advertised in the munster buy and sell, and there are a few small posters around limerick advertising it. is it a big affair, or just a heap of rubbish? it doesn't seem to be getting much press. basically does any one have any info on it?

Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:07 am

Hi Frodo,
Like yourself I saw the adds here and there but no one I have asked seems to know what its about.
Might give a look in there on the off chance but doubt if it will be anything worth while, but then again you'd never know.

Eoin

Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:01 pm

ya that's the thing, there's a competition on sunday as well, and i want to fish that, but then there's an angling sale!! what to do what to do!! what are the odds?

Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:11 pm

Go fishing dont bother with the sale if your interested in outdated tackle thats ok your better off staying away from those fishing sales........................

Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:55 am

I heard this turned out to be just the shooting and fishing show selling the normal stock. Most people I talked to that went to the show expected more than this and were none to happy with it.

Donagh

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:27 am

ya i found that late friday, it was just steves selling a pile of stock he got in for the summer, in the end i didn't even get to go to it, or fish carrigaholt coz i had no car, bloody mother has no consideration for anyone else!

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:02 pm

I decided to call into this in the end. When I heard it was Steves that was organising it I was a bit sceptical about it. It was a sale, of all Steves stock by the looks of it. There were a load of cheap rods and reels there that were overpriced. There was some bargins in the lure/line and fly department but other than that I was not impressed. They cleaned up though. The man himslef had a grin from one ear to the other any time I saw him.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:28 pm

you gotta give it to him though, the man could sell sand to the arabs! any time i go in there i end up emptying my wallet into his till! i had kinda guessed thought that the sale would be just made up of budget rods and reels from across the board.....i too am saving to get decent out and out rough ground rod,and of course i'll need a new reel too!.....the likes of me should never be given money

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:35 pm

Have a look at the selections on offer from Veals or any of the UK online shops. They can work out to be way cheaper than here.

Its true what you say about Steve. He would sell freezers to Eskimos.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:02 pm

see that's the thing, i was looking at the greys apollo, and thats a shade under 200 sterling, excluding 17.5% VAT a few of the lads have suggested other rods, all over 200 streling. and i honestly don't think that it would get the use to merit over 300 euros. and there doesn't seem to be any good rough ground rods around that cost £150 or there abouts. i've already spent the bones of my first two months wages on fishing gear to get into this sea fishing lark, it's as expensive as coarse fishing!

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:37 pm

Was thinking of getting either the Penn Surblaster Outasite or the RoughStuf with the 525Supermag. Between £200 and £225. Failing that I was thinking about the RT aXellerator and teaming that up with a goos reel.

Just a thought. But I would like to find out if there are any good budget rough stuff rods out there though.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:50 pm

ya when i first started looking around, the penn combos did really interest me, i already have the v3 and it's a great rod, but i'm starting to grow very sceptical of them. i paid 200 euro for the rod here, but then you talk to lads who picked em up for 100 euro at the end of stock clearance. i was looking in sea angler the other day, and tonies tackle is doing TWO v3's for around a hundred sterling. i just can't figure out the price fluctautions, and it's put me off penn a bit, i don't feel like i can trust them. years ago i bought a penn spinning rod, broke it first time out, had it replaced for free, broke that in under two weeks, had that replace for free, got the third one, and we've been to hell and back, it's a great rod. i have it close to four years, and i can't fault it! i dunno. i'm still half expecting the v3 to pack it in, and it just takes from the rod, and i never feel 100% comfortable putting the rod under any real pressure. i'm sure it's all in my head, but when you see offers selling supposed quality rods for under half the usual retail price it doesn't do much for my faith in any aspect of the rod or company......there's my little rant!

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:58 pm

I know the story Frodo. Am a bit sceptical of them myself but they seem to be doing the business.

I know that I can't go spending the money for a Greys, Ziplex or Century rod so it will probably be a Penn combo I will get, unless I can find a Diawa or Abu cheaper.