Shakespeare K2

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:54 pm

Lo All,
Can this rod be used with a Multiplier Reel or is it a fixed Spool Only rod.

Also does anyone know what its like for the rough stuff??

Thanks in advance

Eoin

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:15 pm

Dug out and old copy of Total Sea fishing where this rod was reviewed. Both f/s and multi reels were used, and the reviewer said the rod worked equally well with both. Having said that the rod is designed for f/s use.

I wouldn't advise using this in rough stuff at all. it's a clean/medium beach rod.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:54 pm

Thanks Steve.
thats going to rule out that so. Any advice on a good rod for the rough stuff??

Eoin

Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:33 pm

Depends how much you want to spend. I've just got a Daiwa TDXS 130XM which is a superb rod for me. Hard choice though. Look at ABU Suveran XP among others and then try and decide.

Also depends on how rough the stuff you're fishing is. I know for me, the rods do get a fair bit of abuse when winding in - either with or wihout a fish, because of the snags.

Have a look through the rod descriptions on http://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Veals_C ... re_85.html and http://www.harrisangling.co.uk/shop.asp?id=1943 among others.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Hi IDPearl
Going to be fishing the Shannon Estuary mostly and its fairly rough in places. I think the boys on the Clare side would agree with that.

Was looking at a few online shops hoping for a bit of inspiration but some descriptions don't say what kind of work the rod it up to.

Eoin

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:33 pm

IDPearl was just wondering what reel have you teamed up with that Diawa rod.

Thanks for the advice.

Eoin

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:55 pm

I've teamed it up with the Abu Sports Mag, but in all honesty, I wish I'd bought another 525 Mag or the 525 Supermag. The Sportsmag does cast well, but the retrieve is slower and there is no ratchet so you can't just leave it in free spool with the ratchet on. You have to adjust the clutch each time instead. As for the retrieve, I've ordered a different gear set for it to give 6.3:1 instead of the 5.3:1 as standard. This just means you bring the hooks in quicker over the rough stuff. If you add on the price of the gears to the price of the reel, I could have bought the Supermag for the same price.

In its defence though, the magnetic control on the Sports Mag is excellent. I'm using it without any centrifugal brake blocks on it and so far, haven't had a birdy.

As a general rough ground/casting reel, my advice would be to go with the 525 either Mag or Supermag. I think if you bought the Mag, you would be wondering if you should have bought the Supermag instead though. You can get them for a good price off e-bay if you are patient and wait for the "right" one to come along.

For most of the Shannon, from what I know of it, you don't have to be into serious distances of over 100yds anyway, so with a good casting technique you'll be in the fishy zone. There are so many venues to choose from that you can pick the ones that suit.

Check out http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/ for more info on the marks.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:41 pm

Bought a Suveran earlier in the year and its great for rough ground, this is a stiff rod and maybe a bit pricey, 200+ but it will handle a heavy bait in rough conditions and so far I have no complaints. The adjustable reel seat is great but if you have small hands it could be a problem. The problem is there is so much choice. There is one draw back, the top section is very long, at least 7 feet so it needs a big vehicle if it is to be carried inside. Good luck with your choice but I would advise against going cheap.

Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:05 am

IDPearl / Pat,
Thanks for the advice lads. At least now I can go away and think about it with information thats worth while.

Will let ye know how I get on though.

Thanks again

Eoin