Step up for distance

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:28 pm

Hi all. Having watched fellas outcasting (and outfishing me) at "de wall" I'm reevaluating my setup. I use a Shimano Biomaster or Daiwa Emcast Fixed spools along with a Penn Extreme 12ft rod. I think my casting method is solid enough (Pendulum). How far SHOULD I be casting with this?
Assuming I've taken it as far as I can whats the best rod/reel for a bit of all round fishing. I've read a lot of positives here about the 525. What sort of rod should that be linked up with?
Cheers folks

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:47 pm

I have a 525 with a Penn voyager 3pc, and a good cast (groundcast) for me (in daylight only!) is 150 yards (actually paces - I measured the line along the beach). The 525 mag brakes are on 6 (range 0-8), red rocket fuel on bearings. Anything lower than 6 and I bird nest. I've never used one, but the ABU mag has both centrifugal and magnetic brakes, which might give more control.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:08 am

penn 525, provided it is set up right, is an easy reel to use. it will send them out as far as you can put 'em. as regards the rod, do you want to fish the reel high or low on the butt?? this is worth cosidering as it may effect the rod length you choose. 13 foot is a good choice for either high or low. most reputable rodmakers will have a rod for the job. choose one you like! with a good blank you will cast quite far with a fixed spool. multipliers do not automatically equal distance.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:17 am

forgot to say that if you need any help with tuning etc. don't be shy!! if you find a rod you're thinking of buying ask on the site. someone may have one and could give you some good feedback. had you anything in mind??

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:17 am

I was at the Angling Show at the weekend and they had a casting demo there where the instructor very kindly let me have a few casts and gave some tuition. I usually have a fairly decent cast, but am frustrated by the lack of distance sometimes - ie just over 100 yards. Sometimes it seems that effort does not equal results.

I do an aerialised cast, similar to a fishing pendulum. Seeing the guys cast yesterday, the pendulum they were doing and teaching me was quite different and much slower than I thought it should be, but the distances were 150 plus with any rod they had there and a fixed spool reel. The "secret" here was to keep the arms away from the body. The difference was quite marked and done correctly, you feel the rod load much more than I had done previously.

The instructor was praising Neil Mackellow, so if you can get your hands on his distance casting video, it may help.