"Fly Fishing with a Pinch of Salt"

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:42 pm

Bought this DVD as I'm new to fly fishing in general.

Verdict: Not too impressed.

I expected there to be more on tactics, getting the fly out and where to go, but 90% of the video is seeing Mike Ladle simply rolling the fly out rather than doing a typical fly cast. Yeah, I know the fish he's after are at close range, but there should be more variety. Interesting section on fly tying though.

Anyone want a once only watched DVD for half price?
:?

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:31 pm

:D The casting thing is just a few pointers and a quite a bit of practice, especially for the saly water stuff as you are dealing with offshore wind a lot of the time. I'm not sure how your fixed, but I'll give you a few tips in a quite park if you have the time.

Kev

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:48 pm

That would be handy. When I was casting in Carlingford, the fly kept dropping behind and catching on weed. Then when I tried to get some distace on the forward cast, it seemed to land in a lump in front. It just isn't the same as it looks on the TV!

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:03 pm

i would say one thing and that is that 90% of the places i fly fish dont allow a proper backcast and therefore the best thing i can say is to learn the roll cast which mike is doing. also a handy trick i learned during the year if the wind is coming across from right to left is to turn and face the shore. this allows u to cast easier and safer and the idea is to turn the fly on ur backcast, takes a bit of practise but is well worth learning

Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:54 pm

I've tried that one two Liam... A handy tip. Saves loosing an eye to a clouser minnow.

Ian, giz a bell on 087 6671932. I'll be out fishing over the weekend but if you have an hour or so to spare some lunchtime or early evening next week we'll hook up.

Kev

Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:00 pm

Star player Kev. Thanks for the offer and I will give you a call next week. As long as it's not too windy of course.

Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:21 pm

If it's anything like todoay we'll need a pair of hard hats. :shock:

:shock:

Kev

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:38 pm

funnyu should say that. isnt ur man mike ladle famous for fishing in a hard hat. falling rocks and the like

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:12 pm

Never seen him Liam...... Must be funny looking at someone fishing in a hard hat. If IDPearl loads his multiplier with braid and starts trying to whack out 6oz leads..... I think I'll start wearing one all the time. You just don't know where them leads will land... :D

Kev

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:37 pm

Ooh my ribs! Ouch! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW Kev, I've tried to call you quite a few times, but you always seem to be engaged. I'll keep trying though.

Cheers,

Ian

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:14 pm

I got call waiting... :? double check the number. 086 6671932.

Chat to you later,

Kev