Riptide 2/0 - 4/0

Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:21 pm

im looking for a multi reel that i can use both onshore and offshore, i know that the Penn reels are good, but i also need to know if the Riptide reels are any good.

I have allready decided to buy the Penn 525 Mag, but the Riptide looks interresting.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:57 pm

The 525 is best suited for shore fishing it's built for casting. For boat fishing I use a penn 535 & 225 ld may be undersized but great sport.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:55 pm

Hi fogelberg,

Is the Riptide a casting reel? I got the impression it was a deepwater boat reel. I'd double check on this, as boat reels do not make good casting reels!

Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:12 pm

Steve wrote:Hi fogelberg,

Is the Riptide a casting reel? I got the impression it was a deepwater boat reel. I'd double check on this, as boat reels do not make good casting reels!
it seems that you are correct about this... the reels are more suited for trolling.

Looks like im gonna stay with the 525 Mag

Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:35 pm

FogelBerg, the Mitchell Riptide range from 2/0 - 6/0 are for deep sea boat fishing. I have the riptide 2/0 which i use for fishing conger and ling, would also be fit to deal with blue shark, good reel. They cant be used for casting. The penn 525 super mag is a good casting reel, so I hear, I intend to buy one for the summer.