penn ppt copperhead

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:17 pm

Hi ppl, has anyone use the new penn ppt copperhead - it has caught my eye recently and Im thinking of getting it. I use a century carbon metal at the moment (no problem with it, just a teeny bit too stiff or clean beach work). Distance isnt an issue, but general fishability is! Has anyone used it and want to share feedback - the new greys triplex looks cool aswell, but Ive yet to be convinced by long rods......

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:47 pm

The copperhead is the stiff ppt for distance and rough ground. From what you say you'd probably be better off looking at a sidewinder which is the all rounder fishing rod or the viper which is the clean ground match rod.

Donagh

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:15 pm

cheers Donagh - Ive seen the sidewinder too - looks like I got a bit mixed up - is it any good?

Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:11 am

the copperhead is more of a tournament casting rod whereas the sidewinder is the all rounder ( although the sidewinder still has a fair bit of poke , Neil Mackellow uses it for his demonstrations and most of his fishing I believe) . It is a great all rounder which is capable of handling the heavy stuff as well as having excellent bite detection at distance. It will also blast a bait as far as your casting skills allow. The one thing I will say is the finish isnt the best. This is the first expensive rod I ever bought and was somewhat dissapointed by the gaudy yellow whippings and butt section. However the performance is excellent and this is what counts.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:20 am

I haven't the sidewinder but Neilus from the forum has one of the older ones and knows his rods. He finds it good for the east coast fishing as hes done a good bit of fishing in wexford in competitions and finds the bite detection great for even small dabs. Its best described as an all rounder so its not to stiff but can still fish mixed ground. Check Neil Mackellows site for advise but you can tell he loves the sidewinder but never seems to give the viper much of a recommendation.

From what I hear the copper head isn't an out and out tournament rod but can still be used for fishing.

Donagh