gemini disgorger

Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:23 pm

never really had any great trouble removing hooks from fish. however there are times when 'larger species' take a hook right down.

for conservation reasons decided to purchase the above. does a quick and clean job of removing a hook from a deep hooked fish. the beauty is that the hook is unlikely to resnag itself on retrieval from the fishes mouth. good for codling, deep hooked dogs and, i presume, pollack, etc.

if you don't like leaving hooks in fish then this is a good buy. stainless steals means it should last a lifetime. easy to see and a comfy handle too!

however, it does more harm than good to smaller, more delicate fish, for which it is not really designed anyway. try a pike type forceps/ disgorger in such cases. for flatties go in through the gill if you can not see the hook.

Gemini disgorger

Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:57 am

Yes, Mark is right, this is a great piece of kit. I have had one for a few years and it works very well and shows no signs of wear.
One point to add is that the handle could be deemed to be short for larger species like conger and tope. I don't like my hand to be too close to those hoors. So, for my boat fishing, I have made a useful long handled disgorger out of a length of broom handle with some stainless let into it. The stainless bar, about 4mm diameter, I obtained fron an old push chair ( from the dump ) and bent it with heat into an 'S' shape. In fact I find that I can unhook with this home-made device without having to get the hoors into the boat.

Peter.

Hook removers

Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:56 am

Not sure what this thing is called but i got this thing in the states two years ago. It has a trigger handle like a silicon rubber gun and is made completely from stainless steel. iswell big enough to stick down a topes throat wit out fear of being bitten and on the nd has a set of small jaws with teeth that open and close when you pull on the trigger. This allows you to get a firm grip on hooks when fishing for larger species. I use it for Tope, Ray, Doggies and Huss and would not part with it for the world. Only cost me $5 too! Will have a peak at it and see what it is called. Bass Pro shop in Florida does them but i am sure they can also be sourced elsewhere. :wink:

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:31 pm

must have a look at these lads. sounds interesting. hope to do some conger fishing on the hot summer nights, these could come in handy.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:10 pm

still have not sussed how to use these bloody things :?

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:37 am

Is this the one you mean Fecker?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting