Red Ice

Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:25 pm

I've been using 25lb Red Ice for rocky marks for a while now. I love it! It is a really strong line which has saved me quite a few rigs. I was fishing a snaggy mark on Saturday with size 6/0 hook main hook and a size 1/0 top hook on a pennel pulley rig. I snagged and started to pull. The line was stretching a wee bit with all my weight behind it, the rig freed and then got snagged again. I pulled and pulled again and the rig freed again. I retrieved the rig complete, but the 6/0 had bent out and the 1/0 had snapped off!

I never pull out of a snag using my reel. If you are in a snag and just simply tighten the clutch on your reel and try and wind into the snag or pull back using the reel as an anchor, the line will compress/cut into the line on your reel and damage the remaining line. I usually wrap the line around my hand and pull. My skin is fairly tough, but the line cut into my finger on Saturday. Wrap it round a stick or around your protected arm/hand and keep applying pressure. The reason I wrap it round my hand is so that if it frees the snag, I can drop the line and continue to reel in in the hope it won't snag again.

red ice

Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:51 pm

ah yws id thers no better line than red ice i use 35lb straight through for my rock fishing