Anyone suggest a good reel?

Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:37 pm

I mostly fish from boats and I have my favourite combo as a 12-20Lb Abu Conolon with an Abu 7000 C4. I also have a heavier 30Lb Ugly Stick Braid rod (can't remember the model no off-hand).

I have an overly large and barely used Okuma reel (a big gold fecker that cost a fortune and has been a total waste of money since I never use it) and a 'spare' Mitchell reel that is usually left on the 'spare' Ugly Stick rod.

I am considering buying another reel and possibly another rod. I like Abu and they have been very good to me, so I will probably get a Suveran rod, but I don't know what reel to buy.

I have two beachcasters (fairly inespensive ones) but don't have a reel to match - the 7000 C4 has a level wind. I am trying to find a reel that will suffice on the boat for inshore angling (generally fish of less than 8Lbs, but, perhaps with lighter line, be able to give me reasonable performance when attached to the beachcaster.

I was maybe thinking of the Daiwa 7HT, a SLOSH, or one of the Penns.

Anyone able to advise?

Thanks.

mulitplier

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:30 am

Hi Arthur

I would recommend the Penn 525 Mag (have not seen the Mag T etc.) but for casting from the beach it is excellent and it will give you a decent bit of play on a light boat road. They said the Daiwa 7HT is more forgiving if your casting skills are a bit rusty but I ounly found that out after I had purchased a Penn 535 for rock fishing and a SL30SH for beach fishing. I would fully admit to being no expert on multipliers or distance casting from the beach but any of the above are very well made, as you doubtless know....

FWIW: I am sure the forum will offer lots of different views...

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:48 am

have been using penns for a few years now. a good fishing reel. give iz a shout if you need help with tuning and the like. best of luck...

Reel

Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:31 pm

I am a boat fisherman who fishes on the shore occasionally.

I have a Penn 525 Mag and it has never let me down. It has a power handle and plenty of grunt for using leads to 8oz from the boat and its excellent for the shore work too.

You could easily attach good 15lb line to the reel and use it for both applications with a good shockleader.

Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:54 am

Thanks all.

A friend is going over to the States next month - is there any saving in getting him to pick up a Penn 525 Mag over there, if indeed they are available?

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:21 pm

arthurg wrote:Thanks all.

A friend is going over to the States next month - is there any saving in getting him to pick up a Penn 525 Mag over there, if indeed they are available?

Looks like it to me, the Penn 525 Mag online seems to be ~ $135 @ on line shops - for an extra outlay of about $25/3 reels they will deliver to ROI, not sure how they approach VAT.

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:12 pm

All i can say is that all your talking about the Penn 525 Mag has convinced me to buy it.

as i said before; its all your fault... :wink:

Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:37 pm

arthurg wrote:Thanks all.

Arthur,

I received my Penn 525mag a couple of weeks before Christmas from Jackson Lures in the US. It was delivered to my door within 10 days for €116. I found Jacksons to be efficient and reliable.

Seán.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:10 pm

Thanks folks - just realised that my boss from Detroit is coming over first week in Feb. I think I'll get him to bring one over with him.

Thanks again.