What Line to use

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:30 pm

I have a Okuma Intercepter Baitrunner and was wondering what is the best line to use.At present I have 20lb line but a friend of mine said the line was crap.What size line and make would ye recommend

Cheers
nige

Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:34 am

hi
i use berkerlys iron silk line on my reels its cheap bout 6e for o 500m spool

Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:55 am

Depends what your fishing in. If you are on clean beaches, there's no need to go above 15lb line with a fine diameter of less than .34mm. Varivas is a popualr one. I have some 20lb Alan Yates line which is only .32mm and it casts like a dream. I have used the Ironsilk, but found it degrades quickly and loses it's strength, leading to more line breaks when you have to pull out of a snag.

If you are fishing into rough ground, then I would recommend 25lb Red Ice. Been using this for a few months now and love it! It is no good for distance casting greater than 100yds though as it is quite a thick line, but you can pull out of almost anything!

If you are into getting some distance, the finer mono's will help. A smooth line will cast easier.

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:45 pm

15lb TRILENE, you cant go wrong. Strongest line around.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:11 pm

Berkley Spider line braid 20 & 25lb.

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:30 am

how 'ya nige?

started using 'sufix tritanium zoom' over a few months ago now. it's a great line for casting and has the best line laying qualities i have come accross. great chioce for clean beach in the 15lb. breaking strain.

'penn soveriegn' is another favourite. initially it can be a bit wirey but eventually beds down nicely. strong and reliable and cast extrememly well. quite a low diameter to breaking strain ratio. good in 18, 20lb. region for long range over mixed ground. can be pricey though.

'triline' and 'red ice' are good rough ground lines. personally i like the trilene myself but each to there own. good when fish 30lb. or more straight through.

all lines mentioned knot well too. i have given up buying cheap lines and changing them regularly as they really just don't compare with the above on many levels. in saying that, as with most things in fishing, try a few out and see what you like. happy hunting!

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:49 pm

Daiwa Sensor is my all round preference for beachcasting/rock fishing. Inexpensive, but with great abrasion resistance, and it knots and casts extremely well. It's about €12 for a 4oz spool.

I use berkely for spinning and plugging.