Mustad beachcasters

Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:23 pm

I have seen a 12.5 foot Mustad beach caster [multiplier] that a local dealer has for sale. Has anyone tried these out or know of them?

mustad

Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:39 pm

They are getting a good rep going for them selfs. Flicked one seaward once and thought it to be ok. The blank was good if the fixings a bit cheap. if the one you are looking going and price good well insure fixings strong and good and you should be ok. Was told a bit hard for bite detection but a good rod.

Mustad range

Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:50 am

The Power Multiplier has fuji rings and decent coasters. It got very good ratings in the angling mags (although this is no great feat - every rod gets a good rating for fear of upsetting sponsors!). The review I read last night seems to indicate it is stiffish, so you should make sure you are able to bend this kind of rod before buying it, otherwise casting distance will be limited. Seems like a good buy to me though, and certainly value for money.

Have my eye on their new bass rod actually, looks perfect for early season surf fishing when conditions are rougher.

Mustad beachcasters

Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:26 pm

Thanks for that lads. I took it on trial and had a good session of the beach west of Fanad Head [couple of decent flounder over 1 1/2 hours using mack tipped with squid strips]. Not a bad rod even if it is a bit stiff. The bites were showing nicely anyway. I am going to take the plunge and hand over the dosh! :)

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:47 pm

The Mustad viking rods have been getting brilliant reviews in all the mags. Not too expensive either.

First outing

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:30 pm

I had the new mustad with me this morning [hour or so either side of high tide]. It loads up well and is easy enough to cast with. I will change the coasters as I think that they are a bit flimsy. Two of us fished Warden Strand near Portsalon, Co. Donegal and managed 17 flounder and a couple of very small flats. Not a bad session at all. :D

Portsalon

Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:48 pm

Hi EQ

Often drove past Portsalon and wondered if it was worth wetting a line - do you get anything other than flounder there, now or later in the year?

Thanks