anyone tryed to buy any fishing gear off ebay

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

anyone tryed to buy any fishing gear off ebay

Postby donal » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:08 pm

has anyone tryed to buy any fishing gear off ebay in the erlay days off ebay a lot off people got scanked but whats it like now was looking at some good diving knifes for a round 6 quid sterling ive seen them in the shops for around 30 euro's rods are cheap but often the lack details
I fish…therefore I am
donal
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby IDPearl » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:20 pm

I've bought 2 reels and a couple of live-bait collectors recently. No trouble at all. Hard to stop buying once you start though!!!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

It's Brilliant...

Postby Jon Moloney » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:48 pm

I just took delivery of a brand spanking new 6501 C4 in the box. It cost me 70 Euro delivery included from the States. Thats less then half of what I would have payed in the UK and I wouldn't even bother pricing it here, probably 200+ Euro.

You can't go wrong I think.

J
Jon Moloney

Postby JGF » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:05 am

I've bought reels, traces, and other bits & pieces & sold reels as well. The main thing to look for if you want a bit of reassurance is the feedback of a seller.
JGF
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Tanglerat » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:01 am

Yeah, I've bought several reels, hooks, and a joblot of 1000 jellyworms from ebay. No worries on any of the transactions.

Points to note in addition to JGF's tip on looking at feedback:

Know how much the item costs new, and factor in p&p costs for ebay, to see if it's worth your bid price.

Check p&p costs before you bid. Ever since PalPal banned sellers from surcharging buyers for using PalPal, some chancers are charging excessive amounts for p&p.

Since June, sellers aren't allowed to surcharge buyers for using PayPal. Some of them are still doing this, up to 5% or more. If you don't want to pay this, and to avoid the hassle of squabbling after the auction, ask the seller about it before you bid. Some of them don't realise they aren't allowed to surcharge any more and will drop it when pointed out to them.

Decide the maximum amount you are willing to pay for an item and stick to it. Don't get sucked into a bidding war in the heat of the moment.

Bid once, bid your maximum, bid late is a good strategy.

Check out the discussion groups and forums to see common mistakes and problems folks make/run into.

Beware scammers. They're about. NEVER EVER NEVER click on a link in an email purporting to come from ebay telling you about problems with your account. (Tip: Spot them by their addressing you impersonally as "Dear Customer" or some such generality. Genuine ebay email always address you by your name.) These scammers are after your account details so they can hijack it and con people.

Ebay's good fun, just keep your wits about you.

Edited for typos! :D
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby Adrian » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:25 am

This year I bought 1 Multiplier, 3 FS and 1 Fly reel, Also bought a boat rod. No problems, all in great condition and all bargins. Follow Tanglerat' s advice and you won't go wrong. Only advice I have to add is that sometimes sellers click on the "Only ship to country they live in " option, but will ship abroad if you contact them and ask. Watch out for sellers who specifically say they don't ship abroad in the description though, I wouldn't contact them.
Adrian

new start

Postby pookie5488 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:53 pm

I am new to sea angling and got all my kit brand new of ebay total with postage was 150.00 sterling.

I got

1 8ft spinn rod (Fladen)
2x diawa mega strike 12ft beach
1 pair ron thompson hot boots
1x ian gold tripod
2x diawa jupiter reels
1 x shakespere spining reels

So if you look and buy wise yes ebay cool. Saved me pounds All brand new kit
pookie5488
SAI Sea Dog!

new start

Postby pookie5488 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:56 pm

forgot also 1 skakspeare all weather 1 piece suit very warm.
pookie5488
SAI Sea Dog!

Buying on ebay

Postby Jack-the-Fish » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:19 am

Hi, Been a registered member of ebay uk for nearly 4 years. I've bought Rods Reels Rigs Lures and other Tackle. I excess of 300 trades. I sell most of it on at a profit locally. Still at half the price of Tackle shops.
Never had any problems with ebay or PayPal. Two things to remember:-
Check the sellars FEEDBACK, any negatives beware. Most important ebay never ask for your REGISTRATION, PASSWORD or CREDIT CARD DETAILS. So don't GIVE THEM...............
Happy ebaying you'll get great Tackle bargains. But don't get carried away (auction fever!). Never start bidding after GUINNESS!!!!... :D
Jack-the-Fish

Postby Conor H » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:14 pm

yip, bought a load of flies for £1 on Friday , arrived yesterday (Saturday). All new. Excellent value.

I also put up any stock I have lying about that isn't selling well. It always sells on ebay !! It's class !!
-----------------------------
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
-----------------------------
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers