shock leader

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

shock leader

Postby donal » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:39 am

what do you people use for shock leader i use greased wesal for my rigs but use the cheap stuff or evean 50lbs line for my leader
I fish…therefore I am
donal
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby IDPearl » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:13 am

I use "normal" 60lb yellow line for the leader. The yellow just helps to indicate where I am on the retrieve up to rocks. As long as you are 10lb for each ounce of lead, you will be fine.
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby m.b3 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:02 pm

grease weasel in clear or grey is good. like yourself Donal i use cheaper stuff for shockleader. the diameter of the cheaper stuff is usually a little thicker too which helps against abrasion. Ian's right about coloured line being useful on retrieve, and also at night. other lines worth trying for rigs/ leaders are maxima or suffix.
Last edited by m.b3 on Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Shock Leader

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:12 am

I use Berkley Iron Silk in 50 or 60lb b/s. It's fantastic stuff, very supple, with little or no memory. Good abrasion resistance too. Also comes in a bright green color which is handy at night. Costs about €5 or €6 per spool (depending on where you buy it!).
Steve O'Hanlon

Postby johnhig » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:45 am

Greased Weasel for shock leader and a good line still for traces.... both 6lb's....Use to us weasel for traces and shock leader but that gets to expensive...

John
johnhig
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby m.b3 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:40 am

the cheap blue climax in 60lb. is good for leaders. has quite a thick diameter, but this can be of benefit. almost invisible in the water too. use it on clip down rigs that are going to get some punnishment. on flapper that are going to be fished close in up to 100 odd yards go for something with more finnesse. agree with John, greased weasel is far too pricey for leaders. have not tried Berkley Iron Silk. how much do you get on a spool Steve?
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby johnhig » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:55 am

m.b3 wrote:the cheap blue climax in 60lb. is good for leaders. has quite a thick diameter, but this can be of benefit. almost invisible in the water too. use it on clip down rigs that are going to get some punnishment. on flapper that are going to be fished close in up to 100 odd yards go for something with more finnesse. agree with John, greased weasel is far too pricey for leaders. have not tried Berkley Iron Silk. how much do you get on a spool Steve?

What I meant was I use the greased weasel for shock leaders only and not for traces.....other line for traces. As I'll make up 20 traces at a go so that could make a spool of greased weasel go very quickly....
John
johnhig
SAI Bait Ball

Postby m.b3 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:40 pm

yes! i am agreeing with you! cheap stuff for leaders and and better stuff for rig bodies.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby johnhig » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:52 pm

m.b3 wrote:yes! i am agreeing with you! cheap stuff for leaders and and better stuff for rig bodies.

ahh Mark you not agreeing with me :wink: ...I use the dearer stuff for the leaders and the cheaper(slightly) stuff got the traces... :D
johnhig
SAI Bait Ball

Postby m.b3 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:57 pm

ARGHHH! sorry John! i actually READ the post this time! sorry 'bout that....
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby johnhig » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:09 pm

m.b3 wrote:ARGHHH! sorry John! i actually READ the post this time! sorry 'bout that....

I was wonders what was going on....It made me reread it too as I thought I might have typed it wrong.....

Now it go buy a very large spool of 60lb line and make enough traces to last me the winter.....
johnhig
SAI Bait Ball

Shockleads, rig bodies & Line

Postby drseafish » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:24 pm

I use Greased Wessel for most of my traces, but tend to use the grey only as I found that the clear stuff appeared to be much less subtle than either the orange or grey. I don't use the orange as I am worried it might put the fish off. I know that fish are not supposed to see certain colours in the water, but it doesn't do anything for my confidence so I don't use it. I use suffix line for fishing and leaders, but in all honestly I havn't found that other leaders affected distance but I was worried that cheaper shockleaders may be more prone to crack offs when casting. I also only use clear shockleader when fishing (competitons anyway) and yellow or bright colours when practicing casting as its easier to see the lead flight extra...
I used to use penn line for fishing as I got free spools with my reel, but I found that if you did not change the line very regularly it broke as was very prone to abrasion, even to sand!!! So you can quess my opinion on the penn line.
drseafish
SAI Hammerhead

Re: Shockleads, rig bodies & Line

Postby johnhig » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:39 pm

What sufix lines are you using, at the moment am using the synergy 10X which I find really good. Haven't tried there shock leaders yet. I have bulks spools of berkely trilene xt/xl at home, the 14lb seems a bit to weak for most of the fishing I do but great for clean beachs etc. The 20lb is not the best for casting but works well enough but is very thick...The 30 bulk spool is the Bass pro shops(USA) own line and the only place that'll be used is in the boat(so it's going to sit for a little while)...

Never had a problem with line colour....I do however use only black amnesia for my snoods, odd time I'll use the green amnesia but 99% the black...I like to use a brightish color on my shock leaders and also on my traces (unless I have a spool of 60lb clear the I need to use up) so that I can see them easier on the beach and also reeling in.

John
johnhig
SAI Bait Ball

Varivas Tapered shock leaders

Postby DaveHaddock » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:25 pm

Varivas tapered shock leaders are excellent but maybe a bit pricey if you are getting snagged a lot
DaveHaddock
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Jon Moloney » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:01 pm

just took delivery of a 500 meter spool of RT shockleader, only a tenner but you get what you pay for, good enough for the job but quite stiff.
Jon Moloney

re

Postby adrwdarcy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:22 pm

where did you order the shock leader from?
adrwdarcy
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Jon Moloney » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:17 am

Glasgow angling centre. don't hold your breath it took six weeks and many emails before delivery. they also messed up some of the rest of my order.
check out other mail order sites (mikes tackle) it think does it too.
Jon Moloney

Postby Tanglerat » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:39 am

Glasgow Angling Center? :shock:

Does anyone have a good hassle-free transaction to report from them?
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers