5.10 Shoes for rock fishing

Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:40 am

If you ever go clambering about the rocks, you really need to get some 5.10's !

These are American shoes made for rockclimbers, before they put their really silly climbing shoes on. I've tried out a pair in the last couple of weeks and they really do work, even in the wet. You can clamber up somewhere and even the smallest of notches seems enough for them.
They will never be a substitute for common sense, but they just don't seem to slip, probably as the rubber soles are some sort of sticky stuff.

Can't see a supplier in Ireland except second-hand, but there might be one somewhere. The spec. is 5.10 Crag Master and if new, they will probably set you back 100 Euro, but well worth it.

Tim

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:58 pm

Funny you mentioned those, Tim.
I just bought a pair of waterproof, steeltoed, slip resistant tough wear boots for €25........from...........LIDL!

I was going to head into one of those Outdoor shops and have a scout aropund for a good pair of hiking boots, along the lines of the ones you bought. Then the LIDL flyer came in the door, saw them, went down with brother and mate and had a gander....got a pair each.
Used them the last time I was out when the grass and rocks were wet. didnt have one bit of bother, where before, ive pretty much went down on my backside. Left of the Bailey, if you've been there on a wet day, you know what I mean!
Last edited by Wes on Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:21 pm

hi yes the left of the baily on a wet day is doggy i slipped a few times even when wearing boots on a wet day.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:40 pm

Hi

I've resurrected this thread on the basis that I want to buy a pair of boots. My old mountaineering boots are no longer serviceable - stitching has finally succumbed, not bad after 20 years, but whilst I spent a small fortune on them 20 years ago (and clearly it was worth it) the financial controller has indicated that a strict budget will be in situ this time round. :wink: Anyone got any ideas, absolutely has to have good ankle support (my own ankles are buggered), preferably a Vibram or similar quality sole, goretex or similar body, bucket tongue and not weigh enough to crush domesticated livestock underfoot...

Thanks in advance for any pointers / recommendations...

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:02 am

ok.. if you look at any of the pic's of me you'll see i'm wearing dutch army para boots,

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/gallery6.htm
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/gallery7.htm

i swear by them, the only time i dont wear them is when i have my waders on..

the only down side is that you have to break them in... or should i say break you feet in for a week or two...

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:28 am

[quote="Wes"]Funny you mentioned those, Tim.
I just bought a pair of waterproof, steeltoed, slip resistant tough wear boots for €25........from...........LIDL![/quote]

just been surfin and guess what, THERE BACK!!!!

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c. ... 06.p.Boots

might check em out...
just happens to be on my birthday, so if anyone who knows me is wondering what they can get me, there is a big HINT right here...

P.s. i'm size 11

Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:06 pm

I got a pair buckler watreproof steel toe capped boots last year for £50.
The best boots ive ever had so i bought another pair last month.Used to only buy ecco gortex boots at aprox £120 a pair never again Buckler all the way.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:13 pm

I used a pair of safety boots from ARCO industrial suppliers ,their goretex and very grippy ,got 2 years of hard wear out of them and most of my fishing is done on some rocky places :lol: so plenty of grip required .
Think they cost about £50 .
As for a supplier for the 5.10 you can get them from jackson sports high street belfast ,their on-line as well i just cant rember the web site address :oops: we use them in work for around the river banks or when using dry-suits .

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:43 pm

Just read thru this one and would like to bring to your attention the poor chap who wa drowned fishing from the rocks in Kerry on Fri. rocks by their nature are dangerous places especially for people new to fishing. Never do it if there is white water or if they are anyway damp. Better to be on the silly side of careful rather than risking your life for a fish. The idea of having boots should not be to hop around on wet slippy rocks.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:24 pm

bought the mustad boots but aint really tried them on the rocks yet, anyone else tried them for rocks? dont wanna try them on slippy rocks and end up on my mouth and nose!!!

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:41 pm

anyone other than me get boots in army/navy surplus shops, great boots cheap, have new steel toe boots 50 euro, para boots 45euro (good for clambering on rocks) local army and navy in galway have supplied my foot ware for the last 15yrs...

Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:29 pm

If your serious about hiking into marks, descending 'cliffs' and rock fishing then go to outdoor store and get a proper pair of hiking boots. Been using a pair of Scarpas for last three years and they are still going strong.They will cost, so you would have to be doing a right bit in order to justify it, but they will last longer, be comfortable on long hikes, give good grip and just as importantly give you the support your ankle needs when your jumping about the rocks - only for the things I'd have broke the ankle long ago. I wouldn't touch the things they are selling from the angling shops.